~THIRTEEN~

~Often I ask myself 'what did I do?' to get as far as I've gotten~

------------------------------------

"So you're going out with a boy, but you don't like him?" Emira asks as she brushes through Amity's hair. Her, Ed, and Em, are all in Emira's dorm getting ready. Edric is redoing his eyeliner for the fifth time while Emira helps Amity. Edric wears a grey tux over a yellow shirt and Emira wears a yellow dress in the same shade. Amity wears one of her favorite magenta dresses. Emira sets down the brush and hands Amity a hair tie to put her hair back up with. Amity does that as Emira starts putting her own hair in her usual braid.

"Yeah, I was forced to." Amity nods.

"By who?" Ed questions, handing the eyeliner to his little sister. Amity starts doing her eyeliner and sighs.

"Boscha."

"Of course." Emira rolls her eyes.

"She threatened to tell mom something that.. isn't true." Amity shakes her head.

"If it's not true, why does it matter?" Emira tilts her head.

"I- because I think.." Amity closes the cap of the eyeliner and squeezes her eyes shut. "I think I might never like a boy."

"Can't relate." Edric shrugs.

"I can." Emira smiles.

"Wh- what?" Amity opens her eyes, gaping at her older siblings who're both laughing now.

"Ami, you didn't know? I'm a lesbian." Emira giggles.

"I'm pansexual." Edric nods.

"You guys.. does mom know?" Amity asks, confused.

"Hell no." Emira sighs. 

"Never will." Ed shrugs again.

"Well then." Amity can't help but smile. "I'm a bit confused, but I think that maybe I'm a lesbian too."

"Knew it." Emira holds her hand out and Edric places a five dollar bill in it.

"Huh?"

"Ed thought you were aro."

"I don't even know what that means."

"Doesn't matter." Edric sighs. "Let's get you to that dance so you can break up with your boyfriend, shall we?"

"Yeah, alright."

---------------------------------

"Amity!" Elias waves as they enter the large building the school was using. Emira nods at her sister, shoving her in the boy's direction.

"Elias, hey." Amity waves, getting more nervous by the second. "Look, I think all of this was a huge misunderstanding, maybe we can both go our separate ways now, alright? Sounds go-"

"What?" Elias cuts her off, confused. "Oh so now you're playing hard to get, Blight?"

"Don't call me that." 

"Why the hell not?"

A crowd of Elias and Boscha's friends starts to surround the two of them, making Amity hope she doesn't look as terrified as she is.

"Amity. I don't think you remember what I have over you." Boscha's whisper trickles down Amity's spine as Boscha comes up behind her.

"I'm not gonna date somebody I don't like. Got it Boscha?"

"Don't go ruining your social status just because you're gay." Boscha teases.

"I don't give a shit about my social status. And I'm not gay." Amity crosses her arms. She wasn't even sure herself, she wasn't ready for anyone besides her siblings to know.

"Oh come on, a girl as pretty as you can't be gay." Someone who Amity assumed to be Elias' twin says. "It'd be a waste."

"Boscha's just mad I won't help her get a boyfriend, so here she is deciding to resort immediately to being homophobic." Amity glares at him, trying to keep cool. 

"So you admit it, you're gay?"

"I'm not gay, but I am a decent person. Unlike half of you." Amity rolls her eyes. 

"So you won't care if I show it to your mom?" Boscha whispers. Amity's eyes widen. 

"I'm done pretending to be your friend Boscha." Amity responds. 

"You're just scared, huh?"

"No, I'm just growing the hell up. When will it be your turn?" Amity scoffs, walking away through the circle of popular kids to see the rest of the school dancing and having fun, somehow paying no attention to what just happened. She starts to feel herself tear up, and rushes to the other side of the building. She sees two large doors and walks through them to see a large garden with a gorgeous cherry blossom at the end, overlooking the sea. She walks over to a bench and lets some of her tears fall. What would her mom say about all of this?

"Amity?"