~FIVE~

~I make a point to be on time, head of the student council~

-----------------------------------------

"We're home, mom!" Edric calls as he opens the doors to Blight manor. Odalia Blight rushes to the front of the house, and bursts into a hurricane of questions.

"You've been getting study guides from your teachers? You aren't getting involved with any boys, right? Nothing less than a 98% on every quiz so far?" Every question Mrs Blight asks is met by a quick nod from her daughter.

"Mom, it's week one! We don't have any tests yet." Emira laughs. "We will this week, though."

"We've had a butt load of homework." Edric complains jokingly, looking at his mom's stern expression becoming colder.

"And you've stayed caught up with it just fine?" Odalia reassures nobody but herself as all three of the Blight siblings nod. Amity starts walking up the stairs to her room, but her siblings follow her inside and sit on her bed beside her.

"Sooo, Mittens~" Edric starts. "How're you liking it?"

"It's fine." Amity mutters. "My roommate sucks, but the teachers are cool."

"And they were roommates." Emira whispers.

"What?"

"Nothing."

"Interested in any students?" Edric laughs.

"Gross, no." Amity rolls her eyes.

"I'd like to meet your sucky roommate on Monday!" Emira says.

"She's annoying." Amity responds, pulling out her phone and scrolling mindlessly through Instagram as her siblings continue talking about her first week.

"Why are you still hanging out with Bit- Boscha?" Emira asks. "She seemed to really upset you during lunch on Monday." 

"Her mom is on the school board." Amity explains. "Can't get on her bad side."

"She was bullying some trans girl the other day. You should stop hanging around her." Edric explains. Amity narrows her eyes. It wasn't surprising, but still upset her. Emira was trans, and she didn't want Boscha to mess with her sister. No matter how annoying Ed and Em could be, she still loved them. Even though Amity wasn't sure how she felt about girls dating other girls, she fully accepted anyone under the transgender umbrella. It's not like they were born in the wrong body on purpose.

"Well, she teased me for not finding a man hot." Amity shuddered. "She's not a good person. But mom wouldn't like it if I stopped being her friend."

"When will you start rebelling, Mittens?" Emira asked, messing up Amity's hair.

"Yeah! You're away from mom 24/5 now." Edric agrees. "It's time to stop caring."

"You realize 24/5 isn't a real expression, right?" Amity raised her eyebrows at her brother.

"Well duh- but.." He pauses. "Whatever."

-----------------------------------------------------

"Amity Blight!" Odalia yelled. Amity winces at her volume, really wishing she had taken more time to gather her things. She had forgotten her social studies study guide, and wouldn't be able to work on it over the weekend. 

"I'm sorry, mom. I'll work extra on social studies this week I promise." She answers, fidgeting with her dress and staring down at her shoes.

"Amity, we can't have you falling behind this year." Odalia sighs, pinching the bridge of her nose. "I was really hopeful for you. You couldn't have taken an extra minute to ensure you didn't forget any schoolwork?"

"I have all my homework, mom." Amity groans. "I can practice the study guides when I finish with it. Study guides aren't even required."

"So now you think that it's fine not to do it just because it's not required? Mittens, I'm extremely dissapointed in you." Odalia's glare burns into Amity. "What? Do you suddenly not care about schoolwork?"

"No, mom. I care." 

"Act like it." Odalia starts to walk away as Amity heads back into her room.

"Just a day and a half, Amity. You got this."

Amity glances up at her dad, who shrugs and follows Odalia. Letting out a long held breath, Amity opens the door to her bedroom and flops down on the bed.

---------------------------

Finally, Sunday night. Time to head back to Hexside. Amity practically sprints to the school doors as Ed and Em follow closely behind. It takes a second to check in and then she has a short walk up to her dorm. 

Right.

Luz. 

"Uh.. hi." Amity says quietly as she opens the door and sets her bag down at the foot of her bed.

"...Hey." Luz waves awkwardly, looking up from her sketchbook. "Look, Amity, I-"

"Don't, Luz. I don't have time for apologies." Amity snaps, sitting at her desk and fidgeting with her pencil as she looks over her social studies paper. 

"Do you ever do anything besides work?" Luz asks in a surprisingly genuine tone. 

"No time for it. I intend to stay top student." Amity shrugs it off.

"Sounds like you're seriously burning yourself out." Luz adds.

"Look, Noceda. You don't have to pry into my life just because we're roommates, okay?" Amity turns around in her chair. 

"Oh- sorry." Luz mutters. "I just want to help." 

But Amity Blight doesn't need help. She doesn't need real friends. She has everything she needs, right?