Harmony

Sometime later, I heard a soft knock on my door.
"Who's there?"
"It's me." Olivia responded and opened the door slowly."can't your big sis bond with you like old times."
We lay on the bed staring at the ceiling.
"You like him, don't you?" She whispered.
"No way."
"He's quite your type and he looks responsible unlike someone I know."
"Big sis!" I smiled
"How have things been in Toronto?"
"Thanks to Eric my days have been fun." I beamed. "Aren't you here to convince me to come back home with mum?"
"Not a chance darling, like you said you are an adult and you can take care of yourself."
"Acting all cool huh." I tickled her and her laughter filled the room.
"Sometimes we need to make decisions for ourselves. We can't always boss you around."
"Thanks sis."
"Actually I have something for you."
"Why didn't you say so since?" I sat upright.

Ding dong! Someone rang the doorbell, Olivia rushed down to see who it was.
"Bonjour," she was greeted by a young handsome fellow.
"Good morning, how may i help you?"
"I am Liam Blanchard and i would love to see Laure if you don't mind."
"Oh my! She left some minutes ago and i don't think she'll be back soon." His face turned pale in a instant. "Sorry about that." She added.
"Oh, it's nothing." He forced a smile. "Give this to her when she returns." Olivia smiled and collected the letter from his hands. People still write letters in this era. She thought and chuckled. 

"Big sis!" I shouted to wake her up from her reverie.
"I am so sorry darling what did you say?"
" Where's my present?"
"It's not really your birthday present but you can think of it as a gift."
"Just give it to me you talk to much."
"Fine, I'll be..."
My loud ringtone interrupted our conversation.
"It's Anne..."
"It'll will definitely take hours." She smiled and got up from the bed. "I will give it to you next time." She quietly left the room.
"How was your party?" Anne giggled.
"It was nice but i missed you."
"I'm sorry bestie you know why I couldn't make it."
A soft smile rested on my cheeks while I listened to her endless chatter.
"I'm so sorry Laure I talked your head off."
"Not at all." I chuckled, "I miss this,"
"Our endless chatter." She added while readjusting her pillow." You know what Laure."
"What?"I smiled with a heavy eye bag
"You should go to bed you look terrible."
My boisterous laughter filled the room.
"So you noticed."
"Definitely, You've been yawning for about twenty minutes now."
"I'm so drained."
"By tomorrow you'll explain what's going on between Eric and you."
"Woah! woah! Take it easy Anne."
She chuckled and ended the call.
After minutes of thinking, I texted Eric on the phone.
"Wanna hang out tomorrow?" 

        I got up and strode to the bathroom to take a bath before retiring to bed. My phone buzz as I stepped into the tube filled with warm water.
After a while, i wrapped my towel around my chest and head back to my room. I dressed in my pajamas and laid on the bed. My phone beeped again reminding me of the message I sent.

"Definitely but where exactly?" 
"Um, at your place."
I stared at my response before pressing the ok button, the more i looked at it the more I pressed the delete button.

The loud sound of my ringing tone "Let her go" by passenger scared me.
I sat on my  bed listening to the lyrics. "Only know you love her when you let her go" I sang along before the call ended. It was Eric, he must have called because of my late reply.

"At your place." I sent it with a little confidence.
"Funny, that's rich coming from you." He replied immediately.
"I'll see you by 5."
"Alright, sweet dreams."

The next day I arrived at the Raymond's apartment. I was welcomed by a young lady I assumed to be Eric's mum because of their keen resemblance.

"Good evening ma'am." I greeted with a smile.
She replied with an intriguing eyes "Good evening and who are you here to see?"

She didn't seem welcoming and I had regrets; I wished I never stopped by, should I tell her I took the wrong route. I pondered as I stared at her ebony eyes.

"I'm here for Eric." She seemed very confused and perplexed.
"Eric," she muttered. "Come in dear," she smiled at me and offered me a seat. "You care for a cold drink?"
"Yes, please."
"Laure," Eric came down the stairs smiling brightly at me.
"Were you sleeping? Your eyes looks swollen."
"Damn_ you noticed."
"Ha-ha-ha, you look funny." 
"Crazy girl, you look worse than I do when you wake up." I smiled at him without uttering a word. " I get it silly let's go up."

      I walked into Eric's room and it was in a mess, a nerdy way if there's such a thing. I glanced at him and he looked flustered.

"Sorry for the mess." We spoke in unison.
"What was that for?" He chuckled.
"You are such a brainiac, what are all these books doing on your bed?"

He smirked and strode to the big desk at the back of his room to set somethings in order while I pilled up the books on the bed.

"You know," I broke the prevailing silence." My room is always this messy."
"Huh?" He moved closer to the trashcan by the door and disposed some empty cans of soda.
"I'll stack up novels on my bed with several sort of snacks."
"I know the feeling." He picked up the books I pilled up and returned them to the bookshelf.
"Who's this cute little baby?" I pointed at a photo in his album.
"I was looking at our childhood pictures earlier." He joined me on the bed." That's my little sis." His voice cracked at the last word.
"What's wrong?"
"My parents brought us to the beach that day and i was told to look after Eloise but I got carried away with my sandcastles." He sighed. "She nearly died that day." Tears rolled down his cheeks, i pulled him close and pat his back softly.
"I am sorry." He said softly.
"You don't have to be Eric we all need a shoulder to cry on."

"Eric!!!" His little sister Eloise yelled his name as she matched into the room.
"I was informed by the maid that you have a guest not just any but a female. I am not allowed to come near your room but she's here in your room. Mum!!!" She exclaimed.
Mrs Evenly rushed inside the room and pulled Eloise out of our sight.
"Eric!!!" She screamed while being dragged out.
I looked at Eric which cheeks burned with embarrassment.
"I am sorry..." We said in unison and smiled.
"You go first." He said and wiped the tears off his face.
"Your guilt is ruining your relationship with your family, I know I'm in no position to say a word but they truly love you and understands how sorry you are."
"This meant alot to me Laure." He embraced me.

     As I was about leaving Mrs Evenly invited me for dinner. I felt reluctant but i decided to spend more time with Eric's family.  While eating dinner, Mr Evans, Eric's dad asked me questions about my family and how i met Eric after the that the room turned quiet again.

"I am so sorry Laure i was so jealous that you were on the bed with my brother." I choked on my saliva. "Dad, Eric embraced Laure." Eloise continued.
"Eloise!" Eric yelled, he stood up from the other end of the table and chased his little sister who wouldn't stop talking.

   Her awkward statements created a fun scene. His parents smiled brightly at them as they act like Tom and Jerry.
  After appreciating the Raymond's for the meal Eric offered to see me home.

"Thanks alot." He said as we got outside.
"I should thank you Eric," I looked at the crescent moon. "I was reminded of my family and how much i missed being around them."
"Sometimes the advice we give to people are what we need the most." We gazed at each other's eyes and chortled.

That same evening as i got home, I met mum in the living room watching a romantic play. Dad, Olivia and my little nephew went back to France early this morning. Mum smiled at me as I stepped in.

"I can ask the maid to prepare something for you." She said.
"No mum i ate at Eric's." She nodded and fixed her eyes to the big screen. "Mum," i spoke softly. She glanced at me and reduced the volume of the television.
"What do you want honey?" She tapped the sofa motioning me to come sit. I did as she instructed.
"I'm sorry for being so distant."
"You don't have to be i understand why you feel this way."
"I'll love to come and spend quality time with my family this summer vacation."
"How i longed to hear this." She pulled me in and hugged me tightly.
"I love you mum."
"I love you more than you can ever imagine." She said.