Bienvenue

"Stop yawning," Maxon mumbled to me as we stood at the entrance to the palace, awaiting the big black cars to pull through the gate. "We have to look our best." Fidgeting with my collar, I spoke through another yawn.

"You kept me up late last night," I retorted. My dress was bothering me. Mary added a halter neckline to my dress. Although it wasn't the original plan for my outfit to welcome the French royal family, it would have to do. Maxon smiled anxiously and started to bounce on his toes.

"Is something bothering you?" Maxon adjusted his cuff links and chuckled.

"Just a bit nervous is all." He exhaled. "Damn it, what is the hold up?" Maxon asked a guard standing nearby.

"There was a delay at the airport, Your Majesty," he replied curtly. Maxon huffed again, muttering something about the "damn French."

I rubbed his shoulder and smiled up at him. There wasn't much for any of us to say. We were both nervous, anticipating the arrival of Princess Daphne. Maxon had told me the king and queen were laid back. It was hard to believe him when the handsomest couple stepped out of a black limousine in full evening wear. My mid-length cream gown with a slick red belt suddenly felt very casual. Maxon cleared his throat and approached the car. I followed behind him, watching the guards around us stand taller. I subconsciously reached up to adjust my tiara, fortunately finding it was still positioned correctly.

"Bonjour et bienvenue!" Maxon greeted the couple.

"Oh, little Maxon, he is the king now!" Queen Amelie gushed, opening her arms to embrace Maxon. Smiling, Maxon accepted her hug. She was dressed in a maroon evening gown, covered in lace of the same color. A golden tiara with rubies sparkled in her hair, and her ears held glittering diamonds. Maxon turned to King Claude, who was in a simple-yet-classic navy suit, and offered a warm handshake. King Claude didn't seem like a man of many words, exchanging only a few with Maxon before he turned to me.

"This is my new wife, Queen America." I gave my warmest smile and held out my hand, the standard French greeting I had been trained to remember.

"Enchantee, Your Majesty," I greeted with a curtsy. The queen ignored my hand and pulled me in for a hug.

"Oh please," she said, her accent dancing across her words. "We are so happy to see Maxon on the throne with such a beautiful and intelligent woman by his side." She rubbed my back and whispered in my ear; "I watched you every week on the Report. I'm proud of you." Queen Amelie pulled out of the hug and held me at arms length, smiling wide. It was only after we broke the hug that I saw Princess Daphne standing behind her. She curtsied.

"Your Majesty," she purred. I took a second to absorb her. She was about my height, but that was our only similarity. Her skin was slightly tanned, like she had gotten back from a weekend by the coast. Her hair was chestnut brown and her dark blue eyes sparkled with mischief as she curtsied, her light pink gown kissing the gravel. I nodded my head in return.

"Princess Daphne. Bienvenue."

"You are very gracious, Your Majesty," she replied, glancing at Maxon for a second. There was an awkward silence that Maxon broke.

"Well, we have small receptions waiting for us! Shall we get going?"

"Yes, I've been meaning to discuss some business with you," King Claude said, speaking for the first time since arrival.

Remembering it was up to me to continue conversation, I jumped in."There is tea being served in the Women's Room for the princess and queen. My mother and sister are waiting for your arrival. They are very excited!"

"Well, what are we waiting for?" Queen Amelie asked, cueing her maids to bring in her and Princess Daphne's bags. Maxon began walking inside, the French king walking beside him. A quick look over his shoulder told me; "I'll see you at the reception. It'll be okay. I love you." A quick smile from me was all he needed to stand taller.