The Morning Of

"Your Majesty!"

Maxon immediately shot up in bed and I sat up groggily, my heart racing. I searched the room for a reporter, only to find a maid standing by the window.

"Oh," he said, clearing his throat. "Good morning, Mary."

Mary. I fell back on my bed and closed my eyes. Thank God she found us instead of some nosy reporter prowling the castle for gossip.

"Um, Your Majesty, your butlers are looking for you," Mary said. Maxon got out of the bed quickly, and I heard him gather his things.

"Of course. Thank you, Mary." The room to his door opened and closed very quickly.

I opened one eye, expecting a scowling Mary to be looking back at me. I didn't see her, but I felt the other half of my bed being made. I sat up and looked around my bright room. I was focusing on the dust patterns that the sun drew in the air, but Mary interrupted my daydreams. She waved an irritated hand in front of my face.

"Your Highness? You must get out of bed, there is so much we have to do!"

I rubbed my eyes groggily. "What day is it?" I asked.

Mary sighed, and continued bustling around my room. "It's your wedding day, miss."

That was all it took. My feet were on the floor of my bathroom before my brain could catch up. Mary was immediately drawing a bath, sprinkling lavender and bath salts into the steamy water. It seemed like Mary was almost shoving me into the bath before quickly rubbing shampoo into my messy hair. I tried to close my eyes and relax, but with my nerves and Mary's new-found aggression in her fingers, it was impossible to even close my eyes.

"Really, Your Highness, seeing your husband on your wedding day before you walk down the isle is bad luck." I frowned.

"I was cold last night."

"Well, what if it was a reporter who found you? Imagine what everyone would say," she chided.

"I know, Mary. I'm sorry. It won't happen again."

"It certainly won't! You'll actually be married!"

"Mary, are you alright?" I finally asked. She sighed.

"Perfectly fine, Your Highness. I just want to make this the best day possible for you." At those words, her aggressive scrubbing of my scalp softened.

After my bath was drained, I was in a satin white robe in front of the huge mirror in the bathroom. There was a knock at the door.

"Come in!" Mary chimed.

The door opened, and there was shuffling, followed by the crinkling of what could only be the bag my dress was in.

"America?" a familiar voice called.

"In here!" I answered.

Lucy and Marlee burst into the bathroom in a flurry of glee. They couldn't stop babbling about how excited they were for me, for themselves, for Illea.

"Ladies, please! We have a lot to do today and little time," Mary chided.

Marlee came over to where Mary was working on my hair and gave me a hug from behind. She kissed my cheek and then we both looked at each other in the mirror.

"Good morning, Your Majesty," she joked.

I shuddered. "Seriously, Marlee. You don't have to call me that ever."

She gave a fake pout. "But it fits you so well!"

Mary brushed her off of me. She spared no mercy. Marlee winked at me and went to sit in a chair right beside me. Lucy reentered the bathroom after putting my dress somewhere in my room. She began combing through Marlee's hair.