The Calm Before The Storm

Twilight descended upon Angeles. Maxon, the Woodworks, and I were just finishing up dinner when Carter pulled Maxon away for a "bachelor party."

"Don't do anything scandalous, Your Majesty!" Marlee jested.

I quickly got up from my seat and sauntered over to Maxon. He smiled and put his free hand behind my back and gave me a quick kiss. "I'll be good," he whispered before being yanked away by Carter with a "woah!"

Marlee and I both giggled, but she was the first one to speak.

"America, what do you want to do tonight? It's your last night as an unmarried woman."

"Honestly, I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to be doing right now," I replied.

"How about a walk in the gardens?" Marlee suggested. I sighed with relief. "You know me too well."

We set out from the dining room into the gardens, linked arm-in-arm. Marlee occasionally paused to comment on the setting sun, and the evening sky engulfed us before we knew it. What little light remained led us to a bench. The bench where Maxon and I always sat. Marlee sat on the bench, but I took a spot on the grass, reminding me of my first night here.

"America, don't sit on the ground, you're going to get your dress dirty!" Marlee chided. I giggled. "Tomorrow I won't be trifled with these princess dresses. They can get dirty for all I care!" I stuck my tongue out at her and poked her leg, jumping up. Marlee leapt from her seat and began chasing me around the gardens.

Laughing, sweaty, and out of breath, we got back to the bench and both collapsed on the ground. After a few seconds of panting on the ground, we sat up on the grass.

"Is it scary?" I asked her.

Marlee huffed. "What is?"

"Getting married."

Marlee gave another huff. "I don't think so, no."

"Why is that?" I asked.

"Well, when you see the person you love, everything else disappears." Marlee gave a small smile and glanced down at her hands. "Of course, your wedding will be a lot fancier than mine."

"You've never told me about your wedding, Marlee," I said, hinting at a story from her. She smiled again.

"Well, we were both bleeding and injured. Carter couldn't even get up from the bed. But he held my hand," she explained, tears pooling in her eyes. Marlee had to take a breath, but she continued, "He told me he loved me and wanted to be my husband."

The tears spilled over onto her cheeks and she smiled, looking into my eyes. "Maxon gave me away. Did you know that?"

This time, it was my eyes' turn to brim with tears. I shook my head so as to not cry.

"He gave me away because my parents were never allowed to see me again." She sighed heavily. "The ceremony was in our tiny, tiny room in the depths of the palace, with a pastor who had been sworn to secrecy, and Maxon, who had managed to get away from King Clarkson." She exhaled. "It was the best day of my life."

"Believe it or not, I'm more nervous now," I admitted to Marlee with a laugh. She giggled.

"Don't be, America. Trust me, when you see him, nothing else in the world matters."

"I feel that way now," I replied with a sigh. Marlee grinned and nodded.

"I know what you mean. Maybe we should go watch a movie?" She suggested. I considered it, but my nerves were too high, and I knew the one thing that would make me feel calm.