3. Fever

School sucked. Today, even more sucky. Not because of the usual annoying people—well, part of that—I've been feeling a little woozy since lunch. I walked out the doors feeling weak in my legs. Try... Not... To... Fall... I tried to keep my balance, one foot in front of the other. I see a perfect place to sit, a concrete block. I crash down on it from my fatigue. Ughhh... I wanna go home... I pull out my phone and text my mom.

You
can u pick me up at school
2:48 PM *Read*

Mom
Can you try and take the bus?
2:49 PM

You
dont wanna faint on bus
2:49 PM *Read*

Bzzzzt...

     Shit. My phone died. I looked up at the long carpool line and sighed. I wanna go home... At the corner of my eye, I see my ex with a fresh cut. It is absolutely atrocious, no wonder he kept his hood on during class. I can't help but smile to myself knowing his embarrassment of a haircut.
     Ha! Loser!

•  •  •

     Finally, my mom pulls up. The carpool lane is mostly empty. I walk over to the car and flop onto the seat, putting my backpack down to the side.
     "Rachel, are you feeling alright?"
     "No... I feel faint..."
     "Do you think you might be sick?"
     "... I hope not..." I have a test tomorrow. I want to go to school tomorrow to take it. I cannot be sick. I don't want to get behind.

•  •  •

     Ughh... I feel worse... I'm definitely not going to school tomorrow either because of my fever. Looking at the positive, I am in the comfort of my own bed, I took a nice warm bath to soothe the aches in my legs and stomach, and I am not positive for Covid-19—well for now I guess.

BZZZZT!

I open the notification. It's Kea!

Kea
Hey, how was school?
8:57 PM

You
A fight broke out again and I have a fever. (“T△T)
9:00 PM *Read*

Kea
Oh... Well I'm done with homework so if you want to I can call you. Also get well soon!
9:02 PM

You
ill try lol
no, im too tired in gonna sleep
9:03 PM *Read*

Kea
Alright, good night! Sleep well!
9:04 PM

     I turned off my phone and rolled onto my side. At least he checked up on me. I wish I could have him by my side. I'll try to get some sleep and return to school as soon as possible.

•  •  •

   The sunlight is warm. The grass is green. The sky is blue. The clouds are like cotton in the sky. The flowers on the ground are like little paintdrops of color on the ground. The white cotton dress I wore was simple, and reminded me of the ethereal ladies in edwardian paintings. It matched with his simple button up shirt which he wore along with suspenders, and his pants that were golden brown.

     "Keanu!" I laughed out his name.
     "What?" He smiled at me, making the butterflies in my stomach flutter.
     "Play it again!"
     "Alright, alright... Anything for you, darling. " Kea started to strum his acoustic bass guitar. A familiar melody filled my ears, sweeping through the meadow we sat in like a warm breeze as I made another flower crown with pink dahlias, white baby's breath, and yellow daffodils. His gaze fixed on me as I weaved the stems of the flora together. I looked back at him with eager eyes. He started to sing.

♪ You only know what I know ♪

     He'd listen to this song when he was in the mood for something softer and gentle.

♪ The passing years will show ♪

     I want to stay here forever with you in this wonderland with the two of us alone together.

♪ You've kept my love so young, so new ♪

     I wish we would be like this forever. Far away from our worries. Far away from our fears.

♪ And time after time ♪

     I am happy. I am free.

♪ You'll hear me say that I'm ♪

     You make me happy. You help me become free of my burdens.

♪ So lucky ♪

     Keanu, from the bottom of my heart...

♪ To be loving you ♪

     I love you too.