5. Purple

School has started. The days are a blur. Well, except that one day where my twin locked me out of the house and when I rang the doorbell for 20 minutes straight they didn't open the door. I waited until Dad got home from work to let me in. Anyways it's nice to know that they care about me.
     To be honest, I'm kind of isolating myself again—typical Rachel-in-school behavior—even from Keanu.
     I have so many texts where he greets me and I leave him on sent or read. Or I just give him a response drier than the Sahara. I feel bad for him, but I'm so tired and I don't wanna deal with these feelings of a crush anyways.
     I do talk to him sometimes, mostly about the classes I take, how my ex isn't bothering me anymore, or my drum lessons I recently picked up.
     His main interest is hearing about how I'm doing with the drums. He gets excited and asks me if we can be a part of a band, but I have to remind him that I still suck ass at drums.

     Thinking about it, he hasn't seen me in person at all for a month or so.
One day after school I headed over to Keanu's house.
Knock Knock
I hear the distinct, "COMING!" muffled as I hear footsteps descend the stairs. Soon enough, the happy-go-lucky boy opens the door and his smile fades.
"... What?"
"Your hair..."
"What?!"
"It's... purple now?"
I sigh, shaking my head. "Yes. Get over it Kea."
"No— I didn't mean it like that. It's... purple— I mean, uh... new."
I raise my eyebrow at him, glaring at him with suspicion.
He speaks again, "It's... punk. Yeah, punk. You're always been kind of a punk," he smiles nervously.
"If you say so."
"Rachel," he sighs, "I've been a bit worried since you haven't been hanging out with me or... anything. Are you okay?"
God, I hate it when he looks at me like that. Big puppy eyes and slightly furrowed brows. It makes me feel guilty and it's impossible to lie. "I haven't been feeling all that well to be honest... I just... Everything... I don't know... Time is passing too fast, and before I know it, I'll be off to college, y'know?"
"Yeah... I do know. You know I'm always here for you, right? No matter what?"
I nod and look him in the eyes again. I can feel my cheeks heat up. God, it's been a while. I feel like throwing up my guts...

"Uh... Kea..."
He raises his eyebrows at me.
"I should tell you something..."

... Inhale...

...Exhale...

Just spit it out and get it over with...

"What is it Rach?" Keanu asks, his dark brown eyes catching in the sun at just the right angle, making his irises look like pots of honey.

...

"I— uh..."

...

"Well, I-I kinda..."

...

"I mean I sort of..."

...

"I like you."

...

"I like you a lot Keanu."