Chapter 3

I looked at him, dumbfounded. There was no way I was the only one who could see it.

I looked at my parents who wore confused looks, like they too, could not see the spear.

Interestingly enough, the spear had not picked up any blood, almost like it had rejected it. Which was interesting considering that Mr. Carr's blood slicks had been along the shaft, given that this was the same thing that had pierced him. It was the only thing that made sense.

Then something strange happened, the spear began to dissolve. No. Dissolve isn't the right word. It began to fade.

I watched in a mixture of dread and curiosity as it disappeared from my hand.

I wasn't sure what to do. I was a little afraid that the detective would bring me in to have me placed in a psychiatric ward.

I looked up at him and my parents. All of whom looked as confused as I was, but for a different reason.

"I may have to bring in your son for an examination. He may not be the most stable mentally."

"That won't be necessary," a new voice said firmly. The voice had a very thick British accent and was undoubtedly male.

We all looked to see where the voice had come from but could not see another person.

The detective, however, was shaken enough to decide that it would not be necessary, as the voice suggested.

The medics came and got the wounded detective onto the ambulance, and they all left.

I watched them all pull away, and as I turned to go back inside, I saw a black cat sitting on top of our van. Its purple eyes almost glowing. Around its neck hung a collar with no name. But instead, there was a small silver pendant, the Celtic knot.

I watched for a moment, intrigued, as I had not seen it around before, and then turned and went inside to clean the blood off of the floor.

-

The next few days went by normally. And by next few days, I mean two months. But even though I had no more events like those, I did not experience anything like it again. To say the least, I had pushed the disturbing events to the back of my mind after labeling them as unexplainable.

But they were explainable. I would get my explanation soon enough.

I sat down at the library and waited for Mrs. Diana. It would be my last lesson before summer break began, and we would not have any more until the fall semester began.

I was waiting for twenty minutes or so when she called me.

"Corbin," she said. "Hey, sorry, I know it's last minute, but can we meet tomorrow by any chance? I have some last minute stuff of my own to take care of today, and there's no way I can shake it."

"Yeah," I told her. It's no problem, I could use the extra time to practice anyway."

"Okay, sorry. Thanks."

I hung up the phone and packed my stuff back up again. I pulled out of the library parking lot and went toward my house.

-

When I pulled into the driveway, everything felt normal. But little did I know it was anything but.

I got out of my car and started inside when I got another call from Mrs. Diana.

"Hello?"

"Run." An unfamiliar voice said from the other end. And then immediately hung up.

I looked at my phone weird, then tried calling her back. Straight to voicemail.

I was confused, and worried now about my tutor, but the voice on the other end had also awakened a concern in my mind for the safety of this location. But it was my house. How unsafe could it be?

I started inside again and then the rumbling began. And it was intense. The kind of rumbling in the earth that rocks skyscrapers, the kind that opens up canyons and causes volcanoes to erupt.

I struggled to stay upright, and then I looked at the foundations of the house. They began to crack, and I knew that the house was going to collapse.

I stumbled inside and helped my family get out. My dad was gone at work, but my mom was inside with my siblings. My brother was helping my sister out so I helped my mom as best I could.

We successfully got out of the house and down to my car. I couldn't unlock it though. My car had manual locks so I couldn't align the key properly due to the earthquake.

We all were forced to watch our house crumble to the ground, and just as suddenly as the earthquake began, it ceased.

We all stood there panting out of stress and nerves. I started toward the ruins when the smell of sulfur assaulted my nostrils, and an intense heat slapped me in the face.

"Back!" Was the only word I was able to get out before a column of magma erupted from the earth beneath the house.

We all hit the ground, and I knew that our house was gone.

When the magma had receded and the heat had died down, I rose to my feet and looked at where the house had once stood.

I was speechless, and when I turned to my family, I saw that they were too.

I reached down and unlocked my car. "We're going to pop's house."