Chapter 4

We pulled into my grandparents' driveway.

They lived about fifteen minutes away from where our house had once stood. Out here in the country, where you had to walk a minute to get to your neighbor's, it was quiet and peaceful. I loved it, and it was undoubtedly my home away from home.

As we got out of the car, I noticed that my brother was holding his cat and I smiled a little, having not noticed that he had rescued his cat above all else. Conveniently, our dog had been at the groomer, so she was fine.

We walked inside like a bunch of zombies, still in a sort of dumbfounded stupor. We couldn't really understand what was going on at that point. I mean, how could we? We had no idea, no exposure even, to the things that could have been - that were - out there. What had just happened was just a taste of the chaos and destruction that would come.

As I stepped into the living room, I saw my grandparents looking at the tv as it showed footage shot from a cell phone of a police line that had been drawn across the driveway of our house. The police were ordering the people to stay back.

"As you can see, the house is completely gone, which is to be expected. What is unexpected is an earthquake of this magnitude, and on top of that: volcanic activity, in this area. As of right now, the whereabouts of the residents are unknown."

Granny and Pop (what we called my grandparents) looked at each other with strange faces.

"Hey," I called out to them, sounding more exhausted than I had intended.

They turned and smiled at us.

We exchanged hugs and they said that we could stay there as long as we needed.

I sat on the couch and was talking to them for a while when my phone rang.

It was Mrs. Diana.

"Hello?"

"Corbin," she said, sounding relieved. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, we're all okay," I told her. "But what about you? What happened with that call earlier?"

"What call?"

"I got a call from you earlier, just before the earthquake," I explained. "At least, it was your caller ID on the screen, but it wasn't you on the other end of the line. Who was it?"

"I couldn't tell you Corbin," she said. "I never called you, so I can assure you of that at least."

I didn't respond.

"Either way, what matters is that you're safe. Is it ok with you and your family if I come by later, I can make some dinner if you want it."

"I'll ask my mom and grandparents," I said. "They may have something planned, but I would be surprised if they did. I'll text you and let you know one way or another. Thanks."

"Of course." She said. And I hung up.

"Mrs. Diana asked if we wanted her to bring us dinner," I said to my mom.

She sighed. "That would be helpful," she said. "I guess let your dad know where we are too."

I nodded and started sending the texts.

Granny and Pop gave each other the same strange look that they had a few minutes ago.

"Corbin," Granny said. "I think you should know that there is someone who predicted all of this, and they want to meet you."

I looked up. "Who?"

"It's hard to explain. He's downstairs."

I turned to the stairs and eyed them.

"I doubt you'll like what he has to say," Pop told me. "I didn't."

I started downstairs, opened the door and turned down the hall.

I looked around and saw no one.

I let out a breath I hadn't realized I had been holding. There was no one here.

The pool table was there in the middle of the room where it had always been. Also the tv stand and couches to my left. Just normal stuff. As it had always been.

Then a cat leapt up onto the pool table and scared the crap out of me.

I let out an exasperated sigh. "You scared me."

It stared at me.

Upon closer inspection, I realized it was the same cat I had seen at my house. Its purple eyes still glowing. Its pelt completely black, and that strange collar around its neck.

I moved towards it. It watched me closely. "My, my," I said out loud. "You aren't normal, are you?" I don't know why I said that, just a feeling in my gut told me that this cat was beyond normal things.

"No," the cat replied. "No I am not."

I stumbled back.

"What the - holy - holy - oh my goodness!" I stammered.

It laughed a bit. Actually, scratch that. He. He laughed a bit. It was the same British accented voice I had heard when the detective had been stabbed.

"Fear not, I mean you no harm," he comforted. Or tried to. When the talking cat scares you, it's hard for the talking cat to comfort you.

"How are you talking?" I asked.

He curled his tail around and lay it over his paws. "That is a long story," he told me.

"Some work of witchcraft?" I wondered aloud. "Or perhaps some work of the Ancient of Days?"

"Of course it was the Ancient of Days," the cat said with a scoff. "Witches and wizards could never hope to manipulate a soul like this. The power that they have does not come from any substantial source like that. They are limited to things of the material world."

"What is your name?"

"My name is Tritan Lockett," he answered. "I have come to pass something on to you."

"What is that?"

"A title, a name, and perhaps something more, if you accept it."

"What is it?"

"Corbin Matthias Tyler," Tritan said. "I have come to you to officially grant this title to you. You are the latest in a long line of powerful individuals called to protect this world and others from threats both interdimensional and those from this world."

"What?"

"You are someone who has been granted power and authority beyond the average person," he continued, ignoring me. "You are descendant of the Progenitor." He took a deep breath. "Ah, rise now, Chosen. Defender of worlds and peace. Rise up to your title, take up your sword, and fulfill who you are meant to be. Chosen of God."