Chapter 16

"That's what he said?" Tritan asked. 

I nodded. 

We were still behind the church. People were trying to speak to me but Katrina had put up a barrier. 

"I guess there's no way to keep this a secret, huh?" I asked.

"Did you want to?" Rebecca asked. 

"I assumed I was supposed to," I admitted. 

Alexa bobbed her head from side to side. "The people who should know about people like us already do. The only problem with the general public knowing is the massive hindrance they become when dealing with things within their reach."

"You mean I will get a paparazzi?" I asked. 

"If that's what you want to call it, go ahead. But I mean more of a crowd of rubberneckers. Not to mention that since they know, everything you do will now be judged much more harshly."

"I see."

"Back to the point I was trying to make," Tritan said. "Time wants you to learn, but as far as combat goes, there is nothing left for us to teach you. That you will learn from your experiences, and from the connection you have with the Ancient of Days. So the only thing left for me to teach you is information. But even that is scarce. As you have already read most everything in my library."

Katrina looked at Tritan. "I could take him-"

"No," he cut her off.

"You didn't even let me finish." 

"I know what you were going to say, and it is a no."

"Why?" She asked.

"He doesn't need to be immersed in all of that garbage right now."

"What are you talking about?" I asked.

"Serenadia," Katrina told me. "The Capital of this district of the Rift."

"Why should and why shouldn't I go there?"

"Well, the benefit of going there is that they have the second largest collection of knowledge in the known Rift. The downfall of going there is that the situation is volatile." 

"Why?"

"Political power struggle between my uncle," Alexa said. "And another man named Latorakena."

"Serenadia has not seen political tension like this in centuries," Katrina said.

"Divided the city pretty good huh?" I asked.

"Yes. In a manner of speaking. There are those who think that Serenadia, being the strongest of the Thirteen Capitals, should rule over its district in a manner that reflects our strength, enforcing a way of life over the people. On the other hand, there are those who believe the way we have operated since time long passed is the right way to rule. To allow the people their freedoms. My husband is the advocate for this way of thinking," Katrina explained to me.

I thought for a moment. "I personally don't see the problem with me going there." I said. 

"Of course you don't," Tritan said. "Emotionally conflicted though you may be, you just killed one of the three Great Entities and you're on a high. You feel like there is nothing in your way now. And you might be right, but what awaits you there is not enemies of the same kind."

"You mean they'll try and tear me apart with other means, not just swords."

"Precisely."

"Tritan is right, mom," Rebecca said to her mother. "It would be throwing him into the middle of a conflict he has no part in."