Chapter 1

The moment the bus stopped, it started filling in with passengers, mostly students since today is the start of a new term. I rushed in to secure myself a seat, 'cause I definitely wouldn't want to stand through the whole trip to school. Fortunately, I managed to get a seat next to a schoolmate of mine.

I feel unpleasant riding a bus. So to distract myself, I took out my book and continued where I left off. It was a psychological-thriller book that was lent to me by my guardian.

Ever since I transmigrated into this story, I made it a hobby to read books about psychology or manipulation. Well, I don't want to become a toy to the characters in here so I learned things.

Though the bus is crowded, it is fairly silent with a few chatters here and there. I was able to read my book peacefully without disturbance.

“Don’t you think you should give up your seat?”

I spoke too early. Few minutes in the bus and a commotion is starting already. I forgot this scene, the bus scene. The start of the story. I raised my head to look at them.

A young, well-built, blonde-haired man was sitting down in the priority seat. I mean high school student. The old woman was standing next to him. An office lady was next to the old woman.“You there, can’t you see the old woman having trouble?”

The office lady seemed to want him to hand over the priority seat to the old woman.

In the quiet bus, her voice got louder and attracted the attention of the other people in the bus.

“That’s a really crazy question, lady.” He just smiled and recrossed his legs.

Kouenji Rokusuke. A narcissist. A person with a superior ability that may rival a white room student, or so I read.

“Why should I give this seat to an old woman? There’s absolutely no reason for me to give it up.”

“Isn’t it natural to hand over the priority seat to the elderly?”

“I don’t understand. Priority seats are just priority seats, and there is no legal obligation for me to move. Whether or not I move should be decided by me, who is currently sitting in this seat. Will you give up your seat because I am a young man? Hahaha, that’s a stupid way of thinking.” It’s a manner of speaking that one wouldn’t expect from a high school student.

Though I get both of their points, I agree with Kouenji. Indeed it is common manners to prioritize elders but it is still up to the person if they choose to do so. Everyone has equal rights to these seats, as a bus is for public's use. You cannot force a person to give up their seat just because you think that is right.

“I am a healthy young man. Certainly, I don’t feel that standing up would inconvenience me. However, it is obvious standing up will consume more physical strength than sitting down will. I don’t want to do such a useless thing. Or maybe, are you telling me to be more lively and energetic?”

“What, what kind of attitude is that towards your superiors!?”

Does she feel disrespected? But she did it first. He talked back to her, yes. But isn't that how a conversation works? What kind of attitude is that? She approached him rudely first. If she does it then it's fine, but if he does it then it's not? Why? Is it because she's older?

“Superior? It’s obvious that both you and the old woman have lived longer than me. There’s no doubt about it. However, that ‘above’ refers to height. Also, I have a problem with you. Even if there is a difference in age, isn’t that an awfully rude and impertinent attitude?”

“Wha…! You’re a high school student!? Honestly, just listen to what adults say!”

Though she didn't say it directly, she implied that adults are always right. Does that mean that we young people are always wrong? She wants him to listen to her but she doesn't bother listening. Isn't that hypocrisy?