Prologue

"Sasaki, can you put these books back?" The librarian called out. Its almost closing time and I'm just cleaning up. She gestured to me a cart full of books.

"Sure, no problem!" I took the cart and started putting the books in the shelves. When I was almost done, one book caught my attention.

"Classroom of the elite? A light novel?" It looks interesting.

"Sasaki! Are you done?"

"Yes! Just a moment." I immediately put it in the shelf then I returned the cart.

"It's closing time. Here's your pay." the librarian handed me the money. "Don't be late tomorrow." she warned.

I was late earlier because I missed my bus. I have two jobs, a helper in the small public library in our town and a waitress at a restaurant at night. We had a lot of customers last night, I was so tired I overslept.

"I won't, I promise." I took my things and went to my other job. When I got there I quickly changed. I tied my long black hair into a bun.

"Yo, Sasaki-san!" My co-worker, Keita, greeted me.

"Hello!" I greeted back.

"How dull. At least smile when you're greeting someone. You're too serious." He always say that. I just ignored him and did my work. He pouted.

My job at the library starts at 6:00 in the morning and ends at 4:00 in the afternoon. While my shift at the restaurant starts at 5:00 in the evening and ends at 10:00. I only have enough time for rest, sometimes it's not even enough. I never had time to socialise or have fun. Keita tries to befriend me but always fail. I don't have time for those. My works pay are too little that I just barely survive. Never had the luxury to spoil myself. If I want to live a comfortable life then I have to work thrice as hard as a normal person.

All my life I've been alone. I never met my parents nor did I have any friends. I'm 23 years olds now. Some people say that I should enjoy my youth. But how can I do that when I barely scrape by everyday. When I was a teen it was Mrs. Akira, the librarian, who guided me. She gave me work when I was thrown to the streets, that's why I'll forever be grateful to her. She never had a child, she was widowed in her mid-twenties and never tried to get married again.

She lets me borrow some books in her library. I guess that's the most fun thing I did. Now that I remember, the light novel. I'll just search it up later. Mrs, Akira gave me this phone, she said that I need it more than she does.

The moment my shift ended I changed right away then left. My apartment isn't too far from here so I just decided to walk. I'm actually quite excited to read about that novel. When I reached home, I changed quickly and took out my phone. I'll just eat tomorrow. I searched up the title and a lot of results came up. First one being a clip. It's an anime?! I can't watch it with only my mobile data.

"Right! My neighbours gave me access to their internet connection." Though I don't use it often. "What was the password again? Ah, right!" I immediately inputted it. It's connected!

Let's go, Classroom of the Elite! This is the first time that I'm going to watch an anime since I didn't want to waste my time before but I'm really curious right now.

If I may, I'd like to pose an interesting question: "Are human beings truly equal?"

Huh? This is certainly interesting. Of course human beings are not equal. We all have different circumstances, different problems, different skills, weaknesses and many more. It kinda reminds me of the question Keita asked me before. 'If the world is unfair to everyone, doesn't it means that it's fair?' I wonder where did he even get that.

I continued to watch. And I finished it. One word to describe it? MIND-BLOWING. It was so good! But wait... Is that it?!

I searched for more. Hmm, what's this? Fanfiction? Reaction fic? Interesting. I read all of them. Damn! Ayanokouji's so cool, especially the rooftop scene.

Huh, wait. My phone's battery is low. What time is it? OHMY! It's almost 5!

I quickly stood up. Shit! I feel dizzy. I charged my phone then took a bath. The bus arrives at 5:30 I have to catch it. 5:15 and I was done. I took my phone then ran to the bus stop.

"Phew! I just arrived on time." I wiped my sweat as I catch my breath. The bus stopped in front of me. I boarded.

The only seat left is the single seat in the middle of the bus. Luckily, I still got one. I sat down then took out my phone. Its only 76%. It should be enough. I continued the fanfic I was reading earlier.

"Hey! I'm getting off! Mister!" A lady shouted at the driver. He missed her stop. The bus was gradually speeding. Huh! Isn't it speeding up too much?

"E-EVERYONE! PLEASE BRACE YOURSELVES! I CAN'T CONTROL THE BUS!" The driver's terrified shout echoed in my mind. What?!

Everyone panicked. A mother hugged her child. A grandmother smiled contented with her life, though regretting not being able to say goodbye. A teenager was wailing, her life was just starting. Another teen is crying, trying to call home, repeatedly saying I'm sorry. A husband also calling home wanting to hear his loved ones voices for the last time. They all know where the bus is headed. To the unfinished road. Though there were still construction materials there. There was a large crater there caused by a fallen building due to the recent earthquake.

I looked around. Everyone was in terror, breaking out in cold sweat. I am too! My heart is beating erratically inside of my chest. My whole body is trembling, and I feel cold. Is this how it ends? Is this how I'll die? I shook my head. N-no! I don't want to die yet. One by one, tears slid down my cheeks. I hugged myself. I don't want to die. I don't want to die. M-Mrs. Akira!

I called her. Please, please! Answer the phone. But that's unlikely. She turns off her phone when she's in the library. But I still hoped. I want to hear her voice. I want her to calm me down just like when I was a kid. Please, answer the phone!

My phone fell as I felt the collision of the bus with the fallen building. The driver tried to avoid falling into the crater. But unluckily, the bus gyrated and stopped with the back wheels falling in the crater. The bus lurched backwards. I looked up. A lot are still conscious while others are not. Everyone has atleast one bloodied body part. Is it done?

My head's pounding and I can feel something dripping on my temple. The bus is still swaying, hanging off from the back. We're all holding our breath as if a single blow can topple this bus over. But before we could even breathe a sigh of relief, an unconscious large guy seated at the back suddenly fell on his seat. Our eyes widened and we all bawled, dreading our inevitable death. The bus was sent tumbling over and over. I braced my head with my arms. I screamed in agony when I felt my wrist broke. My whole body hurts. It's excruciating. My sight blackened for a moment.

It's done? Is it finally over? My body went numb from too much pain. I'm now laying on the roof. Ah, the bus is toppled over. I looked around. My eyes widened in horror. No! No! NO!

The bodies were impaled, crushed. Everything–everything is covered in red. One partcicular body was in front of me. A kid with his eyes impaled. NO! Why? Why did I have to see this?! I coughed out blood. Then I felt it. Something was impaled in my stomach. My wrists, even legs were broken and crushed. I can't move my body. I closed my eyes. JUST TAKE ME! WHY?! WHY ME?! Isn't suffering in my whole life enough?! Even in my death, you're going to torture me?!

I can feel myself running out of breath. Just take me already! I pleaded. Another tear slid down from my left eye.

---

Am I still alive? It feels cold.

"How old is she?" A man's voice said in a cold, harsh tone.

"Two months old." Another man said in a polite tone.

Who are these?

"And yet, she hasn't opened her eyes?"

"It's rare, but not impossible, Ayanokouji-sensei." This time it's a woman's voice that interjected.

Right! I just have to open my eyes! I slowly tried to open my left eye. It worked! Then my right eye. I groaned. Too bright. What's with all the white?

WAIT! WHITE? AYANOKOUJI-SENSEI? Is this perhaps... THE WHITE ROOM?!