The Oddly Quiet and Unusual Encounter

It was the second day at Galvan Prime, where the Omnitricies' users were discussing plans, after Ben X's likely last encounter with the "good guys". There were many that thought Ben X was gone for good, but Azmuth and Paradox had their own thoughts. 

"I should be glad that dude's not showing up and stuff right now, Paradox, but what makes you so sure he's gonna show up?" 23 grasped his left hand reflexively, realizing it had no Omnitrix. He stared at it icily. "Stupid wrist. Stupid hero-watch. What good are you when you're gonna malfunction like a dolt?"

"Ben X grew up as "Ben" just like his counterparts, Ben Tennysons. He had slight variations however, such as his eyes and hair, his personality, and even his middle name. Like yours, Ben 23, is "Alfred", while yours, Ben Prime, is "Kirby." Paradox placed his hands on Ben 23's shoulders. "You are a rich celebrity, but you have not yet faced villains like your counterparts have. They haven't faced Ben X as you have."

"Come da think of it, when did you face Ben X? Prime raised a brow.

"What? You never asked!" The younger 23 glared at Prime.

23 looked at Azmuth, who exchanged the same worried look his Omnitrix user gave him.

"But why didn't you tell us? We just got the hint from what that Ben said, but we thought he was just messing with you." Prime put his hands on his hips.

"You...never asked?" 23 gave an unsure smile. "Now that you mention it, I don't really remember much, just fragments of memories."

Azmuth jumped off the table and onto 23's head. He crossed his arms and sat there, while 23 blinked hard in surprise.

"What?"

"Do not "what?" me Benjamin Tennyson! I will not get off unless you're open about everything that happened in the past to your counterparts."

Paradox giggled at Azmuth's comment. When he saw 23 sigh in defeat, he nodded at 23 to start his narration. But the 10-year-old in the scene was having none of it.

"Blah blah blah! I can't hear you blah blah blah...!" He closed his ears with his palms and ran out of the door. 23' eyes twitched at the thought of being the imbecile he saw run out of the door. He gave a very long sigh before continuing to his story.

"Well, uh, when I was ten, I went on a camping trip with Grandpa and Gwen. I thought that nothing was gonna happen while we were there, but on the first night, I found that thing I used to call a hero watch. Big mistake." Everyone listened silently as 23's true thoughts began to come out and unfold. 23 looked at his Omnitrix on the lab's table, which was covered in lots of technical equipment. He hissed when the word "Omnitrix" fell out of his mouth. "Lotsa bad guys came after that. Doctor Animo, Zombozo, Hex, whatever whatever. But one guy just couldn't take a "no" for an answer when he asked for my Omnitrix. We fought, obviously...eheh... and um..."

23 ran his hand through his hair and looked away, struggling to finish his sentence. He felt something run down his face and immediately wiped it off. "...and...uh...my...Omnitrix...malfunctioned, and um, it stopped working."

"What happened then? Can you...complete it?" 10k hesitated to ask, but acknowledged 23's nod in response.

"Ben X had his Omnitrix...he transformed into that dino-guy and grabbed Grandpa Max and Gwen...and told me..." 23 once again looked away and bit his lip, trying to hold back the tears he's been building up for years. "H-he told me to choose... and Grandpa told me that...it wasn't fair for Gwen to die so soon. He made me choose!"

"Ben, calm down." Azmuth urged Ben, who started to panic. He breathed heavily as he felt his headache grow. He remembered it all now. He remembered. As he had continued his story, he kept talking, realizing that he had not thought hard enough to remember. He remembered it all, but it was nothing to celebrate. He started to sweat as all the eyes in the room met his, and his headache grew into a migraine. He slumped onto Prime's shoulder, who held him without hesitation. 

"Ben, you okay? Are you hurt?" Gwen stepped forward, but Prime interrupted. 

"That's it. We're not gonna talk about this anymore." Prime scolded, no one in particular, as he held his younger counterpart by his head, supporting him by holding his back, embracing him tightly.

"Hey! Aren't you worried? He literally just-" Gwen started.

"N-no. I'm fine. I just..." 23- who finally gave in to his tears- wrapped his arms around Prime tightly. "Azmuth-"

"I understand, Ben."

Prime sat 23 onto the bed in Azmuth's lab and left the room to stay alone with him. Everyone had left except Prime. He looked at his younger counterpart who was curled into a human ball with his head on his knees. Prime could feel the discomfort in the 15-year-old's mind. He knew how he felt. He remembered the time his grandpa was stuck in the null void, and how everyone presumed him dead. During those moments, he was completely struck with gruesome grief. 23 had lived his entire life with those emotions, but how could he then start a life of fame and fortune as if nothing happened? 

"Hey...listen. I'd rather not...y'know..." 23 wiped his tears and bit his lip as a reflex.

"I get it. It was insensitive of us to bring it up." Prime admitted, putting his hands in his pockets. "I'm sorry. I've never really seen you like...this." 

23 blinked twice. He was surprised, which almost made him laugh. And he did. Prime was surprised at the odd reaction to what he said. Did he say something that funny?

"Hahaha! It's funny, really. They always said not to judge a book by its cover, but here we are."

Prime looked at the young teen with a blank expression until he knew what he meant. He became racked with guilt. He felt guilty for taking 23 the wrong way. The way everyone saw it, and how 23 intended to show it, he was a rich and spoiled kid with everything a teen could ask for: money and fame. He had everything except one: peace of mind. 

"Yeah. And that "Ben X" dude really is a piece of garbage!" A familiar voice with an unfamiliar face spoke. The irony. "Holla!"