tender is the night for a broken heart

PAIRING: obi-wan kenobi x !padawan reader x padawan! anakin skywalker

SUMMARY: Obi-Wan Kenobi and his Padawans are assigned to a mission to contain the anomaly in one of the Outer Rim Territories.

"Something bad is brewing down there."

"You don't say?" Humming, your eyes scan the area, memorizing the landscape and plotting possible escape points should the mission escalate into something much worse than you intended.

Beside you and Obi-Wan, Anakin's dark robes flutter impatiently, bothered by the silence you've both escaped into, never really one to plan quietly. He'd be always on the move. The planning could go later.

"Master, Y/N, don't you think?"

"Silence, Anakin," Obi-Wan mutters, twisting his beard.

The troubled Skywalker then bends to whisper at your ear, knowing you're bound to be convinced more than he can with Obi-Wan, "Y/N, shouldn't we make a move–"

"Anakin," Obi-Wan hisses again, therefore breaking his concentration, "Can't you, for one second be–"

The pair of bickering men blink as you drop into the hole, watching your form descend upon the darkness. "I'll see you on the other side, Master." The younger Jedi grins, mock bowing as he steps into the deep hole.

"What have I done to deserve this, Master Qui-Gon?" Obi-Wan mutters helplessly as he follows behind the two younger Padawans. The abyss engulfs him, the force deafening in his ears – a warning of what is to come. He falls, thumb pressed against the familiar hilt of his saber, squinting madly in the darkness. Obi-Wan hears nothing but silence, not even a complaint from Anakin or your annoyed grunt.

He lands gracefully and calls out your names. The uncertainty in his voice bounces back. The blue of his saber glimmers, buzzing warmth underneath the cold cavern. Obi-Wan moves in the dark, guided by what little light his lightsaber offers.

My young padawans, where have you run off to?

Mildly frustrated at the lack of response on both your end, the Jedi Master clips his saber back in his belt, surrounding himself with the force, letting it guide him to you and Anakin. His meditation is denied by a sinister aura – The Dark Side of the Force is strong in this passage. He dashes quietly worry overtaking his very being. Obi-Wan can't forgive himself if something happened to the both of you–

He stops. Anakin's back is stiff and looming. Your robes splayed on the sandy floor as sobs tore through the quiet cave. Obi-Wan notices a mountain of rotting corpses piled on top of another, a banner fluttering in the breeze, twin iron swords parallel to each other and a blood red rose in the middle, surrounding the blades with vines.

It is the banner of your house's clan, or what is left of it.

Obi-Wan steps forward. Anakin cuts sharply, jaw tight as he stops his master from preaching about the code, the blue of his padawan's eyes blazing protectively.

"Master, don't. She needs this. She has to mourn them." Anakin sneers, fighting the older man.

Obi-Wan sighs. "Anakin. I am not here to scold her about the code."

The younger Jedi yields, allowing the Master passage to your devastated figure clutching at your parent's rotting hands, gasping apologies out of your raspy throat. Obi-Wan approaches you gently, first pressing a hand on your shoulder your rigid form softens instantly, welcoming his comforting touch. You allow him to pluck your hands away from the corpses, pulling you close to his embrace with Anakin beside him, humming a song low under his throat. One that his mother often sang to him back when he was a little boy waking from a nightmare.

"You'll be alright, little one," He coos, rubbing the small of your back and stroking your hair. Obi-Wan feels the sheer jealousy rolling off of the younger's force signature. He excuses himself, allowing Anakin to comfort you, quietly sending a report to Master Windu and Master Yoda of the development, watching Anakin's tender touch wiping the tears in your cheeks and the fluttering brush of the boy's lips across your cheek.

 He excuses himself, allowing Anakin to comfort you, quietly sending a report to Master Windu and Master Yoda of the development, watching Anakin's tender touch wiping the tears in your cheeks and the fluttering brush of the boy's lips across your...

CROSS POSTED ON ARCHIVE OF OUR OWN.