CHAPTER 1

A/n: soo, this book was previously published in 2021, then I took it down and I'm now republishing it in 2023😭. Plot might change, but bare with me. Also, the first couple of chapters might be boring but I promise it gets better 😉.

The rapid buzzing sound of my alarm rung through my ears  for the 7th time this morning. With a deafening groan, I slowly rose from my bed with droopy eyes and reached towards my phone resting next to me. The time read 8:07 am. I made a mental reminder to myself not to press snooze next time and just turn the goddamn thing off before i break it.

Adjusting to the ray of sunlight peaking through from the curtains of the large window, my eyes slowly began to open with the little strength i had. I blinked a couple of times before sitting up on the bed having fully adjusting to the light and stretched my fatigued muscles.

I get off the bed, striding towards the window to fully open the curtains. The light struck my eyes like a bolt of lighting. Subconsciously, my hands raised to shield my face and I shrieked in agony. Fanculo.

My sight slowly regains and I turn around making my way in the direction of my bathroom to get ready for another fun-filled day.

With my toothbrush in hand, I turned on the faucet, just when my phone goes off. A loud groan resonates throughout the room as I automatically know who it is. What does he want at 7 in the morning? I place the toothbrush down and reluctantly answer my phone. It was Ricardo, one of my trusted men and second in command. I greet him, already pissed.

"Yes Ricardo?" I spit into the phone.

"Boss. Good morning. I just called to let you know of something that might interest you." Ricardo spoke, seeming more happy than usual. That's surprising,considering he's more gloomy on mornings.

The edge of the bed dips as I sit on it, intrigued by the conversation topic. "Go on." I encourage him.

"There is a Gala being held in one of the Mansions of the third most powerful mafia."

Gala. Now that's what i like to hear. Crossing my legs, I stay silent urging him to continue, with a smile plastered across my face. Ricardo always has a habit of boosting my mood, even is he doesn't realize it.

"There will be a lot of men of high ranks and power attending. It would be the perfect place to form alliances," He suggests. "One of those men happen to be Romano Novikov. The leader of the second most powerful mafia. You might have heard of him before. He's the head of The Russian mafia."

Confusion laces my face. Romano. I tested the name on my tongue. "Oh? I don't believe I've seen him before."

"Hm," Ricardo hums in understanding. "It would be good for the mafia if we were to be allies with him."

"Thank you Ricardo. I knew i could always count on you. I'll think about it." I spoke with a mischievous smirk across my face.  I hang up the phone without giving him time to answer. There really wasn't much to think about. My answer was automatically a yes. It would help my mafia but I'd have to proceed with caution.

I've never seen this Romano Novikov before. I've only heard rumors about him. Some of which may be true. Or false. Or maybe both. Who knows.

I'm willing to know though.

___________________________________

After i finished getting ready for the day, i grabbed my phone and purse deciding on heading to the mansion, I was out the door entering my garage. Eyeing over the cars filling my garage in rows, I decide on going with my matte black Audi R8. The keys swing around my index finger as I unlock the car.

Soon I was speeding out the garage and onto the highway. The mansion was quite far from the city, mainly to avoid catching unwanted attention, police and any dilemmas or concerns.

___________________________________

I follow the road in the secluded forest manoeuvring my way between the trees like I always do. I pull up to the big, garded, double steel gate of the mansion and the guards let me in after instantly recognizing me. I park in a reserved spot in the garage and make my way to the front of the house. You couldn't enter without a hand and eye scan .

Stepping into the house, I passed several of my men who stopped in their tracks and pivoted towards me. They bow as a sign of respect and with a slight nod of my head, they return to their previous actions.

After i ordered someone to send Ricardo up to my office, I make my way there, knowing there was unfinished worked to be done, and things to talk about with Ricardo. I place my index finger on the scanner next the door and with a clicking noise  indicates the door had been unlocked. Twisting the knob, I enter the rather large modern room.

Taking a seat in the office chair behind my desk, I spin around in the chair to face the large full length window with a beautiful view, as i wait for Ricardo's arrival. I pull out a cigarette from a drawer feeling to smoke. Setting a small flame to the end of the stick with my lighter, I draw a few puffs from it, holding it there for a few second before letting the smoke leave my body.

Soon after, three knocks sounding at the door. "Come in!" I call out loud enough for the person on the other side to hear.

I avert my attention away from the view to turn towards the door as it slowly opens to reveal Ricardo. He hesitantly steps into the room.

"Have a seat," I gesture with my hand towards the couch on the side of the room opposite me.

As Ricardo makes himself comfortable on my couch, I offer him a cigarette which he willingly accepts.

"So," I begin. "I have a feeling you know exactly why I called you here hm?" I ask.

"Yes." He replied with a slight nod of his head.

I signalled for him to begin.

Ricardo clears his throat before speaking, "Like I said before, there's going to be a Gala held later tonight which i figured will help with business and making allies. A lot of powerful men will be attending. It's a good opportunity"

I brought the cigar back up to my lips inhaling deeply as i listen to the words coming from Ricardo's mouth. "Alright. I guess we're attending a Gala." I say, sending a smirk Ricardo's way. "You know what to do. Gather the men and tell them what's going to be happening tonight. And have cars ready for our departure. You may go."

Ricardo nods and stands up, heading towards the door.

"Oh and one more thing," I say as he places his hand on the doorknob and turns to look at me with raised eyebrows. "I want to know more about this Romano Novikov." He reluctantly nods before existing the room. I spin back around in the chair, facing the full length window again. Cigarette in hand, I think about all the possible things that would be happening at this Gala tonight.

Suddenly, I felt more invested about this mysterious man and who he was. I guess I'll be finding out.

¤
¤
¤

_____________

END of chapter 1
Thank you for choosing to read His Temptation.
_____________

¤
¤
¤

-Spy