The Beginning

'You can't go back and change your past. You do have the power to change your ending.'

'What's your biggest fear?' That question played in my mind all day. The first time that I was speechless with my therapist. I had so many, how could I pick just one? The fear of being alone? I'm use to being alone, I've been alone since I could remember. I barely talked to anyone and I liked it that way. So no family, no friends, single. The fear of being rejected? I shrug my shoulders at that one. I like the peace of being alone. The fear of the unknown. How could you fear something that you don't know?

I get ready for my shift at a diner. I like working third shift, I barely slept anyways and it was just me and the cook. We weren't busy, it was mainly regulars. I walk into the diner and see Janice rolling silverware.

"Hey darling, how are you feeling?" Janice reminded me of a mother figure, she was always so sweet.

  "Not bad. How was today?"

  "There was a little rush, but I worked through it."

  "Let me put my things up and you can go." I put my things in the back.

  "Hey butterfly."

"Hey Joe." I give a smile to the cook, I put my things up and walk back to the front. Third shift was mainly a lot of pick up orders, there was a couple regulars that would come in, chat with Joe then leave.

  "Ray's Diner, how can I help you?" I answer the phone the same as any other time.

"I need five burger meals, all with coke." That voice, it made my body heat up. It was deep and smooth. It was dangerous. "What's the total?" His voice snaps me back to reality.

"Umm, that'll be $50 and should be ready in 30 mins. Name?"

"Stefano." I look at the phone when I hear the dial tone, rude. I give the ticket to Joe.

"Are you sure you're okay butterfly?"

  "Joe, what's your biggest fear?"

"Therapy got you. It's good that you're going." I look at him deflecting the question.

  "Well I don't know what to tell her. I know I'm not fearless. But things that people are scared of, I've accepted it. I'm not scared to be alone, or being rejected anymore."

  "Butterfly." He gives me a look.  "Order is almost done." I go to make five cokes. The bell rings when the door opens. I look at a man walk in, I couldn't help but to stare.

"Order up!" I jump when I hear Joe.

  "Hi, are you here for pick up? Name?"

  "Stefano." Oh his voice was even better in person.

"Um $50." He hands me $100.

"Keep the change princess." I put the money in the tip jar and hand him the cokes and the bag of food.

"What is taking so long?" Another man walks in and stops when he sees me, I see a smirk play on his lips.

"Grab the drinks Luca." The man grabs the drinks.

"Have a nice night and be safe." They both stop, but then walk out the door. After about 4am, it was dead. The occasional person coming in for coffee. I was cleaning the counter when the bell dings when the door opens. I turn around and look at a man. He was in all black, black cargo pants, a black sweater that hugged his biceps, but got loose at the torso. I could see the tattoos coming out from his shirt. He let's out a chuckle that brings me back to reality. He caught me staring. Oh god, I could feel my cheeks start to heat up.

  "Are you going to ask me what I want little one?"

"I apologize sir. What can I get for you?"

"Two coffees." I pour the two coffees and hand them to him. He goes to hand me money, but I stop him.

"Oh no, it's on me." I look at him walk around the counter and place the money in the tip jar.

"Be safe little one." I look at him as he walks out the door. Little? He must be blind, I'm not little.

  "Good morning butterfly." I look at Janice and Ray walk in. "Looks like last night was good $200." I give her a smile and hand Joe $50.

  "You want a ride home?"

"No, thank you. I think I need the walk." He gives me a smile before walking out the door. I leave after Janice gets ready. I walk through the park, sipping my coffee.