Part 17 - The interview

Chapter 68

ON days she was free from her showbiz obligations, Elysse and Shine would help Cat and Agnes handle a section of the hotline for the Fun Run campaign. Their task was to augment the number of celebrities joining the event or spreading the news. In turn, the SGC foundation hand-picked a team of employees to help with the registration and respond to queries through different communication platforms.

Reasonably, it was an easy undertaking because young actors and actresses were into diverse fitness programs to maintain their figures and physiques. Plus, the activity was for an open-handed charitable cause. However, the nature of the industry Elysse belonged to was never passive. It may be, at times, filled with heart and compassion, but in fact, the spectacles and crises within were wildly aggressive and unmerciful. One could never be too careful because an absent-minded statement can trigger an outbreak between 'fresh and current' personalities. And a captured body language could, and would, be misread depending on its cunning value.

Such an incident from the previous day became a screaming headline and the day's off-putting distraction. In an ambush interview, a TV correspondent asked, "Is it true that you and Ms. Elysse Forlani are officially a couple? And is it true that, secretly, you are already married?"

His response, "If it was a secret, how did you know about it?" made the front page of almost every tabloid newspaper the day after. It was not a denial. Instead, it was an invitation for speculation. And, as expected, it boosted the public's interest and curiosity. Which obviously worked.

Being her fans, she knew even the SGC secretaries wanted to ask the same question. Everyone was dying to hear the answers, especially from her. It was written all over their faces. Cat and Agnes were sure Jessica could and would not provide such confirmation. Even though they wanted to, they kept mum about it.

Her social media accounts got riddled with the same queries and, anxiously, requests for her response. Fans needed her confirmation. And they needed it as soon as possible. She owed them that much, but she was confident Mommy Au had already primed an angle before arranging their dinner. She could not even start to think how wide of a web her manager would spin the incident. Heaving a sigh, she contemplated how her potential response would affect Miguel.

Chapter 69

WHENEVER they were at SGC, lunch was always at Miguel's penthouse. Elysse agreed with Shine the running menu had been incredible, always chosen perfectly. As if they were eating in a Michelin-starred restaurant. It was far better than any catering served in any shootings or tapings she had been. Their chef was quite accommodating, and his dishes were truly pleasing to the eyes and palate. But she still requested more salad days as it was getting harder to lose the extra pounds from the delectable meals.

There were choices of salad at the penthouse, but the chef was missing. Jessica explained that her boss flew to Batanes to check a property and might be back before sunset. Since the host was absent, Elysse suggested bringing the food downstairs so Cat and Agnes could join them.

The quaint and quiet pantry became an instant talk show set. Elysse was generous enough to oblige. Shine, on the other hand, decided to be the moderator. And, to everyone's humor, asserted censorship when needed. Though lunch seemed to go in slow motion, it did not become a dull affair as the secretaries fired their questions one after the other. Even Jessica joined in, but hers were more personal. Halfway through their meal and interview, Agnes surprised everyone with her question.

"If in case na wala si Toby at ligawan ka ng boss namen, may pag-asa ba siya?" (If Toby did not exist and our boss court you, does our boss have any chance at all?).