Part 24 - Naughty and Nice

Chapter 118

AFTER their hearty and homey breakfast with choices of pancakes, bacon, and eggs, everyone proceeded to their activities.

The young girls and their chaperones rode a horse-drawn sleigh carrying them around the lake and into a scenic wooded area. They learned the ride would end between the stables and the entrance of an indoor riding area half the size of a football field. There they could watch or join riding lessons.

An hour after his morning coffee, Albert was trying his best to play the role of the enthusiastic and dutiful mentor to Emmanuel. But the operation of a water scooter was not his expertise. Thankfully, Rose's 15-year-old Francis came to the rescue. He brought an extra life jacket, taught the newbie where the controls were, and discussed the importance of the safety lanyard. After a few basic instructions and actual lessons, the two became good buddies and owned the waters. Albert was left to spectate.

Carlos and Terry kissed their wives in the kitchen and took off on their quest. Ethan tagged along to act as a referee. Since Carlos's football team lost against Terry's, the former was the designated chainsaw carrier.

On their way, the two noisily argued where to put up the tree. Carlos contended it should be inside the mess hall, while Terry insisted on an outside setting. Behind them, Ethan was smiling. He knew it was their wives who would ultimately decide.

Charles Junior gave Elysse and Shine half an hour of horseback riding lessons at the indoor riding area before leading them outside. Not only will the two learn the needed basics, but it will also give time for their horses to be accustomed to them. He and Jessica were impressed by how quickly the two learned to work with their horses. Twenty minutes into the training, Elysse and Shine were already leading their horses to a walk, trot, and turning. And, of course, stopping.

Given their temporary learner's permit on horseback riding, Charles led them outside at a slow pace. Then started at a slow trot after passing by where Elysse and her family were staying. They stopped before entering the woods and noticed it was a few yards away from the northern cabin. It was there when a familiar face joined their ride, Armand, the bodyguard, of course.

Into the woods, their guide pointed to trees with a red cloth wrapped around them. He told them it marked their way. Between the tall trees were glimpses of the awe-inspiring views beyond, while the evening snowfall created charming patterns on its branches. And beneath the shades was the wildlife tramping around with confidence despite the presence of humans. The scent of their rides made the visitors innocuous.

It was peacefully quiet except for occasional heralds from the local fauna, definitely a different traffic experience for the urban folks. Instead of earsplitting honks, they heard pleasant tweets. From both sides of the trail, a few animals yielded and watched them curiously. A herd of elks sped away upon seeing them, while a red fox ignored them as it foraged for food. Wayward squirrels and chipmunks gave the riders homage by standing on their hind legs, securely hanging on to whatever price they were holding.

Almost an hour had passed. The riders found themselves in a clearing, staring at a clear winter day with only thin veils of clouds hiding the sun. A lone and rare bald eagle soared in the sky. To their left was a rolling hill of trees blanketed with snow, and on the right was a showcase of the Rockies.

They trudged through the dell with the horses leaving hoof prints on the snowy ground. Finally reaching the edge of another wooded area, they stopped and dismounted. Surprisingly, there was a sturdy fence to rack up the horses and a footpath going into the woods. And it looked like there was another clearing beyond. Charles revealed a great view of Independence Pass was just a hundred and fifty meters through the woods. Armand told the trekkers they could go ahead while he helped tie the horses.