Part 22 - Orlando Boom

Chapter 103

LAST night in their villa was a retreat after a hectic and draining week. She wished Ate Merly was with her, but the hotel masseuse was providing the same remedy. The aroma coming from the oil and pressure on the right spots were rejuvenating her exhausted muscles. The massage therapy was just right. At least after six grueling days of theme parks. When the masseuse arrived, Eleanor was already off to slumberland. Already sleeping like a log on the bed that they share. When Elysse checked, she found Nonna watching an Italian movie in her room which was more like sleeping while it was on. Her dad and Emmanuel were watching a football game in the media room. She was certain Emmanuel would be sleeping on the long sofa himself by half-time. And her assistant, Shine, went downstairs for a merry-making alcoholic date at a stone-throw-away Beaches Pool Bar & Grill with his new best friend, Jessica.

Orlando was a total blast. Besides the theme parks, the hotel alone was another milestone of an experience. Miguel had them booked at a Grand Villa of Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa. It was a home away from home. The villa had three bedrooms and a media room to accommodate twelve guests. They considered that that was worth a star. Plus, a fully equipped kitchen. They felt a refrigerator was understandable, but an oven and a dishwasher gave it another. And another for a laundry room. With a washer and dryer. The amenities spelled half a star. What was best about the hotel was not just the view of the lake from its verandas but its proximity to Magic Kingdom. From the resort, they had the choice to ride the monorail en route to the theme parks. Or brave the waves on a water taxi across the Seven Seas Lagoon. Or utilize the bus service to EPCOT, Hollywood Studios, or the Animal Kingdom. They all agreed with a star and a half.

Thanks to the ever-reliable Jessica, their schedules got aptly set. Including their activities at the parks. Where to go, what rides to take, and what items to bring. Still, Elysse could not believe the number of rides she did in six days. It was more than twice what she did in her lifetime. And the parks also gave her several different thrills. She replayed the week in her mind while the masseuse broke the knotted muscles on her back.

She tried to recall how she took a beating throughout all the excitement.

Chapter 104

MONDAY, December 18.

We did a double feature on our first day at Disney World. Animal Kingdom & Epcot.

Disney World was enormous, like a city, and all parks are huge on their own, but Nonna was cruising her time on the ECV we rented for her. We went to Animal Kingdom first as most rides were laid-back and Nonna-friendly.

The first ride of the trip was the Kilimanjaro Safari. We got loaded in trucks that resembled real safari jeeps that took us on a tour of the African jungle, the Nile, and the savannah. Our timing was right as the animals are most active in the morning.

Nonna benched herself when we joined the line for the Dinosaur ride. We entered an underground facility where a time rover took us back to prehistoric times. We enjoyed the smell of the forest, and the bumpy ride made the journey more authentic. It became more intense during the meteor shower as flashes of dinosaurs chased after us in complete darkness.

Next, we lined up for the Primeval Whirl. Dad volunteered to take Nonna to the Maharajah Jungle Trek. I guess Dad felt old for the ride, and Nonna, much older.

Expedition Everest was a three-minute trip to the Himalayas. It was an exhilarating ride with a unique storyline of a troubled train journey to the mountains haunted by territorial yetis. I can't believe Dad missed that. Maybe he was scared and covered it up with his supposed concern over Nonna. Hmmm.