Part 19 - Dulce Soiree

Chapter 77

INSTANTLY, Real Cool Energy Drink became a household name. Thanks mainly to Elysse, its key endorser. And to the others who were snapped with a bottle on hand during the event. The number of the run's participants, fans, cameras, word of mouth, and the many mediums multiplied its popularity. Free ads for Real Cool branched out through social media platforms. Everyone got convinced that the former owners were pulling hairs for letting go of the brand while it was all fireworks and high-fives at SGC. The straggling Republic Cola went from near obscurity to a competitive label. Once again, the whole company enthusiastically venerated the outcome of Miguel's choice of adventure.

It was no surprise that three departments discussed the 'resurrection' of Republic Cola at the corporate meeting. However, the boss was silently frowning over their celebration of the success of the newest acquisition, mainly because the closing of the fun run indicated the end of his current and somewhat uncomplicated collaboration with Elysse. A follow-up event right after would be open for speculation. He realized that, from thereon, it would be harder to create reasons why she should be with him without anyone noticing.

He was already on his 19th on the treadmill when he heard the nagging voice of his assistant.

"It's hard to celebrate success when there's a specific loss behind it."

Jessica found Miguel's eyes meeting hers, but he remained silent and concentrated on his stationary run. She watched him curiously. There was neither an acknowledgment nor comments from the billionaire. She offered him coffee, but he answered with a head shake. Remarkably, one of the few times he snubbed his favorite beverage. She retreated to the pantry and got him bottled water instead, then returned inside the Migs, unlocked her iPad, and started to key in her notes. It was nothing new. She had had the same interaction numerous times, so she waited patiently.

His response seconds after the mill registered he had run for twenty kilometers.

"I won't stay in New York after the thanksgiving dinner," Miguel opened after a few sips from the water bottle Jessica handed him. "We'll fly to the UK before midnight. So I can get some rest before the meeting with Sterling Financials."

"And Paris after?" Jessica asked, remembering his schedule to attend an invitation to a fashion show from a giant automobile mogul in France. There were whispers within the local car manufacturing industry that her boss would carry the brand in the country.

"Immediately after Sterling. We'll stay there for the weekend," Miguel responded pensively, and as if it had just occurred to him, he added, "And call Elysse if she can join us there until Monday morning. She can bring Shine. Tell her we'll take care of the travel arrangements."

Chapter 78

SHINE answered the call, "Yes, EA, this is the PA."

"Hi, Shine. How are you?"

"Haggardness, Sissy Jess. Are you too?"

Being used to Shine's oddness, Jessica chuckled. "You know who my boss is."

Shine can hear Jessica pounding on her laptop, "Of course, delta force!" He agreed, then immediately added, "Worse than my boss, but wow the adbenchors." (adventures)

Jessica laughed at the remark. She had a few gay friends in high school who were as quirky as Shine, but Elysse's assistant made her laugh more. She paused to ask, "Can we talk? I can hear people near you."

Understanding the underlying concern, Shine looked around to make sure no one within earshot would realize he was speaking with the billionaire's assistant. Satisfied, he spurred Jessica with,