dumb love; mylo

MYLO X READER
highschool au

•••

it was a quiet day in small town america, where a teenager sat alone at a circular, white lunch table. it was a freshman, one who went by the name of y/n l/n. she was you; a scared freshman who had lost all her friends over the summer.

plenty of your classmates hated you, you weren't sure exactly why. you presumed they just wanted a laugh, though they were the only ones who seemed to find it funny.

you silently watched as all your classmates left the packed lunchroom, the bell ringing just a few moments earlier. you sighed lightly, standing when the majority of students left. you trudged to your classroom with the rest of your lonely peers, children flooding into your fourth period.

you couldn't forget what period this was, even if it was the first day. it was biology, probably one of the only classes you could actually enjoy. you took a seat in the front, sitting in the corner farthest from the door. as more students flooded into the classroom, taking seats beside their friends, you realized everyone seemed to be sitting away from you. you thought you were overreacting, telling yourself to stop being dramatic and grabbing a book from your bag, something by melville to distract you from everything going on around you. you were so easily sucked into your book that you hadn't realized someone taking a seat beside you, only making a mental note of the unusual boy when the teacher told you to set your book down.

that boy was the only person sitting relatively near you, sitting particularly close to you, just a foot or two away from you.

the english teacher blabbered about the rules in his class, not wasting any time. just a few minutes later the lesson had already started, the teacher asking if you read over the summer. your eyes flickered around the cramped classroom, not a single person raising their hand. you coughed awkwardly, raising your hand hesitantly. the boy beside you took a good look at you, his eyebrows raising before his hand was raised as well.

your eyes met with the boy, this being the first time you got a good look at the boy. a small smile formed, one that he quickly mirrored.

and the boy knew then, a special bond would be formed.

•••

it was already late winter in your small town, where you sat alone on some bleachers. school had just ended, an algebra two workbook in your calloused hands. beside you was an empty bottle of water, one that was soon replaced by your best friend and boyfriend, mylo.

you turned to the boy, an excited smile tugging your lips up. "hi, mylo," you said, hugging your boyfriend with rosy cheeks.

"oh, god. you're freezing!" mylo said, quickly taking off his hoodie and throwing it on you.

"oh, mylo, i'm all right. you're the one who's gonna freeze," you said with worried eyes, your pupils fixated on his white t-shirt that showed his lanky figure.

mylo just shrugged, grabbing the white plastic bag beside him and letting it rest in between the two of you. he reached his hand inside to grab your favorite snacks, handing you a hot chocolate that was previously to his right. your eyes left the hot chocolate, your eyes nervously meeting his as you took the drink and let the snacks rest on top of the bag.

"what's wrong?"

"why are you so nice to me?" you asked quietly, almost to yourself.

he chuckled softly, "because i love you?"

you studied his face for a bit. you watched as his eyes furrowed into question marks and smoke leave his nose and lips after lighting a cigarette. you admired him, he was basically perfect. he had surprisingly good grades and was talented in the oddest things. and mostly, he didn't care what anyone thought about him.

"i love you too," you said. so much.

what started with english class friends had became a beautiful relationship. how could you not love that?