survivor's guilt; vi

y/n ran through the crowded streets, waving to familiar faces as she passed by.

"oh, miss y/n!" a raspy voice called out for the girl, and she stumbled to a stop. she snapped her head towards the voice, revealing an elderly man with pointy ears. y/n knew exactly who it was, seeing as there wasn't many elves in zaun.

"mr. miraven! how are you, sir?" y/n gave the elderly elf the best smile she could at the time while she caught her breath.

"oh, please, call me mervin. i'm sorry to interrupt your quest, but my daughter has a question for you." he revealed a small elf with a blue bow tied in her hair.

"oh, hello!" y/n knelt down to face the small elf, "what's your name?"

"esta!" the petite elf cooed, smiling softly.

"what's your question, esta?"

"did you blow up that topside building? everyone said you did." she said with an innocent smile.

y/n's eyebrows furrowed, "a building blew up? in topside?" her head turned to the elderly elf.

the elderly elf nodded hesitantly, "uh, yes. not too long ago, maybe two hours or so? well, as you know, word gets around fast down here." he chuckled. y/n spaced out, biting her lip as she hoped it wasn't them who caused the explosion.

"was it just one person?" y/n asked, standing up.

the elderly elf thought for a few moments before his eyes lit up, "my good friend neia is an enforcer," he whispered into y/n's ear, "she said there was four kids from down here that caused it."

y/n's eyes widened, her blood boiling as she started to breathe heavier. she sighed, pinching the bridge of her nose to prevent herself from making a scene. "thank you, mervin," she said, forcing a smile before running off.

she burst into the last drop, scanning the room for her friends. her eyebrows were lowered and her eyes were narrowed, her face hot with anger. both vander and her friends were out of sight, while the new girl at the bar, a goblin, stood behind the bar.

"hey, new girl," y/n called, rushing over to the bar.

"yes, miss y/n?" the girl asked. she somehow new everyone's name, though she hadn't been working at the bar for more than a few weeks.

"where did vander and his kids go?"

she put down a glass, pouring unknown liquid that y/n assumed was alcohol into the glass. she slid the glass over to y/n, which she happily drank. "vander went to benzo's and the kids are laying low. stayin' in that hideout of their's until all that blows over." she explained. she also somehow knew where everyone was as well.

y/n sighed, "vander needs to knock some sense into vi or she's gonna get him in trouble. oh wait, she already has. fourteen fucking times!" y/n huffed.

the woman behind the bar poured her another drink, sliding it towards y/n. y/n chugged it, "i hate vi."

"hate is a strong word, honey. you be careful saying you hate vi, especially. y'all are close."

"i hate her perfect teeth. i hate her hair and i hate how she always one-ups me! i hate how . . . how strong she is . . . and how brave she is. she's so calm under pressure and . . . " y/n trailed off, "and i . . . " she raised her eyebrows, but her expression quickly turned back to annoyed one, "and i think she's annoying!"

the woman behind the bar raised on eyebrow at y/n, "sure, honey. sure."

"well, i should go yell at her now," y/n smiled at the woman behind the bar, which the woman returned.