𝟎𝟎𝟒. 𝐑𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐑𝐈𝐍𝐆

― ♥ ❝ it's tearing me apart ♥ ―

▍When Dustin Henderson opened his front door, the last thing he expected was to see Max Mayfield holding the trembling hands of the rising cheerleading queen, Claire Hope

cheerleading queen, Claire Hope. Yet, here, right before his eyes, was exactly that.

"Chrissy Cunningham?" Dustin enunciated once the three of them got to his room. Claire was now wrapped in a blanket, sat down right beside Max.

Claire nodded hesitatingly, avoiding eye contact with the curly-headed boy.

He paced back and forth against the carpet floors of his bedroom. "You're sure it was Chrissy?"

"Dustin, she literally saw her. It was Chrissy." Max said, rising so she could stand up. "She was.. she was in her cheerleading outfit. The same one as Claire. We saw her with Eddie. I mean, like, Claire went there with Chrissy and Eddie."

Dustin turned to face the girls. "Did you tell all this to the cops?" He asked with wide eyes.

Max and Claire both shook their heads in unison.

"Eddie the 'freak' with Chrissy the cheerleader?" Dustin asked, although it was pronounced more like a statement.

The redhead nodded. "Exactly. You know, his names not in the news yet or anything, but I guarantee you Eddie is suspect number one right now."

"That's crazy! Eddie didn't do this. No way." The boy argued.

They continued to argue back and forth as Claire stared down at the floor, trying her hardest to ignore them. With all the tragedies that seemed to strike Hawkins each year, she'd never been this close to one. She'd never seen a real life tragedy. She'd never seen a body. Let alone the body of her bestfriend.

"Wait." Claire spoke up, causing both of the teens heads to turn. "Max, you— you left out the one part. Right afterwards... when.. when I was crying?"

Dustin and Max leaned down and sat next to Claire on the bed. Facing her as she went to tell them what had happened. "Eddie drove off. He.. he ran out of the house and hopped into his van, and drove off like a maniac." Claire announced, looking cautiously into Maxes eyes.

"Eddie always drives like a maniac." Max said, looking at Dustin. It was clear she felt bad for him, due to the fact that his mentor was now a murder suspect. 

Claire shook her head. "He looked horrified. You.. you agree, right Max? He looked so scared. I don't know if— if you'd look petrified right after murdering someone."

Max and Dustin made a very quiet eye contact. The silence seemed to pierce through the air. Max was the first one to break the silence. "Maybe he looked scared.. because he had just killed someone. Or... or because.. well, uh.. b— because.."