Chapter Seven - Portals

We were at the Wheelers house again.

Me and Gareth were sitting on a couch to the side while Dustin, Max, and Lucas were sitting on a couch in the middle of the room. All the parents were behind two cops.

"And what exactly were you all doing at the lake?" Chief of police Powell asked us curiously, Dustin, max and Lucas all looked at each other nervously and didn't say anything for a second, Powell looked at us but then back at Dustin as he began to mutter, "Uh.. it's comp—" Max began to cut him off, "We were— we were just going for a walk" she replied nervously, I cleared my throat loudly.

"A walk? At 9:00 PM?" Officer Callahan sarcastically asked in a sassy tone, "To the lake!" Dustin squeakily shouted, I looked down and slowly shook my head in disbelief. "Dusty. Someone was just murdered there." Dustins mom cut in worriedly, I snorted at the name and quickly looked back up at the officers who were now looking at me, I cleared my throat again and looked at Gareth and he just looked at me then back at them.

"Yeah we.. we didn't realize that until we got there" Dustin responded with nervously laughter. "That's why we didn't swim" Lucas cut in, "And Nancy, was she with you at this night swim?" Mrs. Wheeler asked, "No", "Yes" Dustin and Max responded at the same time, "Uh" Dustin just stared at Mrs. Wheeler, "We're not sure" Lucas replied for him. "She was there.." Dustin stopped for a moment, "Then, she left".

"It's all a little confusing" Dustin whispered nervously. Then Lucas began to talk quickly, "That's when you guys came!", he exclaimed, "Right and then they dared me to say.. what I said" Max cut in nervously, then they all began to laugh nervously, the officers looked at me and Gareth, "Right.." I looked at Gareth and we both began to nervously smile and laugh, "Yeah.. yeah that's what happened" I quickly said, "Mhm" Gareth hummed in response as we chuckled nervously. "You're lucky you didn't get shot" Mr. Wheeler responded, we all stopped laughing, I just looked at him and rolled my eyes.

Officer Powell began to talk, "Have you had any contact with Eddie?" He asked. Dustin furrowed his eyebrows, "That.. psycho.. freak- killer? God no." He paused, "Nope.", Max jumped in, "No. we haven't heard from him.", "We barely know the guy" Lucas cut in. Then the officers looked at us again, me and Gareth shook our heads, "Barely know em'." Gareth replied nervously. "Oh that's a bunch of bull" Erica exclaimed, we all looked at her quickly. "Erica!" Both her parents yelled at the same time, "I mean, you realize they're lying. The whole couch is on fire!" She exclaimed, Dustin looked at her confused and shook his head. "Erica" her parents yelled again, "Just the facts!" She responded loudly.

"Are you lying to these policemen, Dusty?" Mrs. Henderson asked, we all then quickly looked at her, "No!" Dustin responded in a high-pitch scream. "Lying to the cops is a crime son" Mr. Sinclair exclaimed to Lucas. "I'm not lying!" Lucas replied loudly, "The fire is consuming us!" Erica loudly jumped in. "Threaten them with a little jail time. Maybe that'll loosen their lips." Mr. Wheeler confidently said. "Okay" Dustin cut in upset, I shook my head "Uhm what?" I replied to Mr. Wheeler in an upset tone. Then all the parents started to argue loudly, I rolled my eyes and looked at Gareth, we both shook our heads, "Just like home" I muttered sarcastically. "SHUT UP." Officer Powell yelled, everyone quickly looked at him, I sighed loudly. He was standing up now, "We're gonna try, a more- civilized approach" he said calmly while looking at the parents and paused for a second, then raised one finger up, "One, at a time.".

He then turned back to the couch with Max, Dustin and Lucas, "You first" he pointed at Max. She shook her head, "Wait- what- why me?" She quickly responded, "Follow me" he replied sternly, Max scoffed, "I'm not even in the Hellfire Club" she responded in disbelief. "Do I need to cuff you?" Officer Callahan asked while pointing at her. Max looked at him confused, "Up!" He said loudly, Max sat there for a moment. "Chop chop! Let's go!", Max finally got up and walked out the room, Officer Callahan looked at me and Gareth then back at Dustin and Lucas, then he walked out the room.