𝙘𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙩𝙬𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙮-𝙩𝙬𝙤

Christine's POV

   I was trying to multitask, but keeping an eye on Vincent and doing my job at the same time proved difficult. At some point, I realized that I had lost sight of him.

   And then it happened.

   I was by the main stage, glancing suspiciously around to try to catch a glimpse of the tall man, when I was approached by another one. He was a chubby, happy-looking guy, lacking a bit of hair on the top of his head. He had a rich brown beard to make up for it, though, which moved as he spoke.

   "Hello, Miss," He said to me, looking left and right with an exhausted sort of gleam in his eye. "Have you seen a little girl, about twelve, with reddish hair and freckles?"

   I blinked.

   "I haven't. Why?"

   "Oh, it's just... my daughter, Leslie. She's always taking off; thinks everything's a game of hide-and-seek." The man played fretfully with his hands, but didn't seem all that concerned. "Took me a minute to realize she was gone. I shouldn't have brought her here, shoulda known she'd... anyway. If you see her, let me know, alright?"

   "Alright..."

   So Vincent had already stolen away with a child... and I hadn't even noticed. It was all because I took my eyes off of him. The father nodded at me and wandered away, presumably to find someone else to interrogate.

   "Christine!" I suddenly heard. I turned to see who was calling to me; it was Ray, looking more worried than ever before.

   "Yes?" I asked.

   "Christine," He repeated once he had reached my side. "This man came up to me about five or so minutes ago. He told me his daughter was missing."

   "He just spoke to me, too," I said. "But... I've completely lost Vincent. I think I ruined our chances..."

   But just as I said that, I caught sight of him walking purposefully into the room, looking completely and utterly normal. His hair wasn't even ruffled. I furrowed my eyebrows.

   "Hold on," I told Ray.

   Before he could evade me again, I made my way over to Vincent, who stalled upon my approach.

   "Hello, Christine," He murmured. "Is everything in working order?"

   I nodded, repulsed.

   "Yes... err, sort of." I tried to look as meek and vapid as possible, wringing my hands behind my back. "A man says his daughter is missing. Have you seen a girl with... what was it - reddish hair and freckles?"

   Much to my surprise, Vincent looked stunned. Truly stunned. Like that was the last thing he was expecting to hear.

   "I've not seen a child matching that description. I've been busy evaluating the employees today... but I'll keep an eye out for her, alright?"

   "Um... yeah."

   He nodded curtly at me and hurried off, making a face. I just stood there for a moment... he usually wasn't good at acting... and his story didn't seem fabricated. I'd seen him watching his workers with interest all afternoon. Maybe he was telling the truth this time.

   I returned to my little brother.

   "What did he say?" Asked Ray.

   "That he's been busy all today, and he hadn't heard anything," I explained. "I believe him, I think. Perhaps the girl did just... run off."