Chapter 7: groceries

.      The walk home was quiet, but my mind was filled with thoughts of why my dad called all of those times. It confuses me.

      Once I get to the house I run over to the front door. Knocking on it
     The door opens to Anna, she looks pretty worried.

    "Hey Anna...what happened?" I ask. "It's your  dad, he hasn't been here since last night, he also took the car." She says and I panic.

    "Should we call the cops?" I ask entering the house.

     "No he hasn't been gone for 48 hours" She says nervously scratching her head.

    "Okay, when did he leave?" I ask "Late last night, he said he was going to meet someone." She says

   "Maybe he stayed over?" She adds. "True, let's just wait it out- Hey does he know I stayed over at 'you know who's'  house?" I ask and she shakes her head no,

   "Speaking of... you stayed over?" She smirks.
          ———////-////———
    I explain everything and she responds with a "Oo la la" at every sentence and I laugh.

   The door opens and it's my dad, "hey! Dad." I smiled nervously, "Hey how was your shift?" I sigh in relief, "it was fine, long though." I laugh.
     He nods and heads up stairs, I'm guessing to wash off? 

    "He's acting weird." I say and Anna shrugs, "Maybe he got laid?" She adds, "Eww" I say dramatically and fly on the couch.

     He hurries down the stairs with his fishing gear, "dad leaving already?" I ask and he nods, "I have fishing lessons from this kid, y'know for my interview" he chuckles and I notice a lipstick mark on his neck.

    "Hey dad" I gesture to his neck, "Ahh, duty calls" he laughs and mouths thank you.

    "Yea he totally got laid." I sigh, "I still find it weird he made a book about fishing and knows NOTHING about fishing." Anna laughs.

     Anna walks to the refrigerator and looks inside for a second. "Hey y/n.. we have no food..." she groans, "I guess we need to go to the store." I giggle and begin making a list of what we need,

    Anna looks outside and groans, again. "Your dad took the car so we have to walk." She says.

    "It's fine, we need to get exercise some how." I get my shoes on, so does she and we begin walking into town.
    "My feet hurt" I complain and she agrees

    We finally made it to town and entered a grocery store. I rip the list in half and hand it to her,

    "Let's meet back here." She says and we both part ways.

    "Okay... so we need corn.." I whisper to my self looking down the aisles, found it.

    I quickly rush over and grab the corn. "Y/n! Hey!" A familiar voice calls out and I turn around to Jeremiah holding tons of corn.

       "Jeremiah..." I say staring at all the corn. "So what are you doing here"
I ask pointing at the corn and he looks down. "Oh- belly's birthday is in a couple of days so my mom sent me to the store to buy some stuff." He says clearly struggling to hold all of the corn.

"do you need help..?" I offer and he says no. "So what about you? Why are you here?" He chuckles.
"Oh we ran out of groceries." He says oh and we sit in awkward silence.
"Oh! You and your family can join us at belly's dinner, if you guys want-" Jeremiah invites.
"Hey y/n! I know we don't need it but look at this cereal." She rushes over in excitement and I gesture to Jere.
"Oh hi, I'm Anna, her friend." She smiles and he greets him self as well. Talk about awkward.
"So Jeremiah was inviting us to belly's birthday dinner..." I add and her eyes widen.
"We'll be there, definitely." She exclaims. "Great, see you there." He smiles and walks away.
"He's cute~ but why was he holding so much corn?" She asks scratching her head and I laugh.
"We better get going, it's almost dark." We finish the rest of the shopping and start walking home.
"This was a horrible idea. We should've just called an Uber."Anna says picking up the grocery bags.
"We're close to home, Anna." I sigh and we soon finish walking.
My dads car is parked and there's lights in the house.
We walk inside and notice my dad, and a boy talking in the kitchen.
"Hey dad..?" I greet, putting the groceries down. "Oh, you girls are back."

"This is Conrad, he's the kid helping me with my fishing." He smiles and puts a hand on his back.

Anna smiles and waves while I'm confused, he seems familiar... Conrad..
Oh my god.. It's him, from the bathroom.
"It's nice to meet you." I reply smiling and it seems he remembers me from before.
"Yea." He agrees, Anna and I begin putting the groceries away while my dad continues talking to Conrad.
     A few moments later my dad asks this, "Hey honey, could you walk Conrad home? Please?"

      "Dad I'm pretty sure he can walk hisself, besides why cant anna do it??." I gesture at Anna eating ice cream.
     "Im good" she says with a mouth full of ice cream.
      "Please just do it. Now." I sigh and  put on my shoes.
      "Come on." I tell Conrad and he follows.
      We exit the house and we begin walking, this is awkward. Very awkward.
     "So.. when you walked in on me and belly.." he says quietly.
     Oh god not this shit again. I listen carefully and distract myself on my phone.
     "It was a mistake, I walked in on her in the shower and it was only a one time thing. Just don't tell Jeremiah he will freak out." He says quickly but quietly. 
     "Belly came to me about the 'situation' first," I pause, "Why we're you guys evening doing it when your parents are downstairs." I ask and he sighs
   "Like I said it was a one time thing" He says and then the awkward silence fills the air, again.
    A few moments later we arrive to his house and he gets out. "By the way- are you going to Laurels book event?" He suddenly ask and I shake my head no.  

    "As far as I know, no I am not going." He mouths "Oh" and shuts the door, entering his house.
    I begin walking away while trying to process all of the events that has happened, in one day.

______________
UPDATED CHAPTER Y/n LIVES DOWN THE ROAD FROM THEM so just lmk if some chapters say differently because the neighbor thing is an updated add on.

also the dad made her walk with conrad because thats his form of "Match making" Even though he knows y/n has NO interest in conrad. idk dumb move if i say so myself.