Chapter 8

I laid in Shadow's bed as I stared at the messages I shared with Sonic. I need to break up with him. I really need to but I am afraid to. I loved him forever. How can I just give him up? I mean he did cheat on me.  How can I forgive him? Can I even forget that he did this? I can't forget that he did it.

Sonic has messaged me a bunch since that day. I miss him but I can't stand to see him. I really need to break up with him. I can't stay with someone who cheated on me. How could he cheat on me? I thought we would be together forever. I sat up and I put my phone down. I can't keep being with him while he did this.

I started writing a text to Sonic that contains our break-up message. I fell in love with him and I can move on from him. Even though I have been in love with him for a long time. What will I do? Maybe I will be able to move on. Knuckles and I will be hanging out soon since Shadow will be gone. I could try to have fun with the distraction by talking to Knuckles. I then heard a knock on the door.

"Come in!" I tried to chirp while trying to hide the pain of some of my thinking. As the door slowly creaked open, I saw Shadow. His eyes seemed to have lightened up when they landed on me. "Hey, Shadow!"

"Hey," Shadow mumbled. He fidgeted with his hands as his eyes looked directly into mine. He stood with his body shifted to the left. "I will be leaving earlier than expected."

"You will?" I exclaimed. That means I will be able to spend time with Knuckles sooner but that also means something might have happened for Shadow to be needed sooner than later. I hopped off of Shadow's bed and approached him.

"I will. I have to go as soon as I can. So you can go and join Knuckles this afternoon when you are done moping about that faker for the day." Shadow told me as he patted my head. It was awkward when he first did this a while back. He doesn't pat my head often but when he does, it always causes a very warm feeling of care.

"Be safe Shadow, I will leave when I can so I doing overstay my welcome." I chirped as Shadow gave me a soft smile before he handed me something. I smiled back at Shadow as he left the room. I knew he would be out of the house very quickly. I looked down at the object he gave me.

It was a small device with a note. I picked up the note and read it. It had a rose drawn onto it, the handwriting belonged to Shadow. I recognized it from when we baked together and he wrote down certain things about the recipe. The note said:

Dear Rose,
I leave this communication device to you so you can contact me immediately in case Faker tries anything to bother you. Just press the red button and speak into it if you can. If not then just press the button.
From the Ultimate Lifeform,
Shadow

It is a very nice note from him. I don't doubt that Sonic will try something but I am glad that I have a friend like Shadow that is willing to help me. I don't know what I would do without him. He lets me stay at his place, in his bed, eating his food that he makes how I like, getting Knuckles to help, and now leaving a way for me to get his help when he is busy on an important mission.

I look at the time, it's almost noon. I could make myself something to eat then I head to Angel Island. Knuckles already left for there since he has a responsibility. I won't get in his way and just bring him company while he guards it. Knuckles is also a good friend for helping me get away from Sonic but I know I probably should confront him about what he did.

I walked into Shadow's kitchen and begin making myself scrambled eggs. The device Shadow gave me was safety in my pocket. As I grab the egg, I remembered how I made them before I found out. Could Sonic and I have worked if I didn't go looking for him? Well, I never would have found out and I wouldn't have my heart broken. I was uncomfortable with his friendship with Sally being so close. Now I know why. I shouldn't give him another chance. I should leave him when I see him again. But won't I regret that?

I gave up scrambled eggs while holding the egg in my hand, unbroken. My cheeks were warm with the liquid of pain. I loved him but he always loved her. I shouldn't be thinking about this. I'll make myself an egg sandwich instead then head out. I am trying to distract myself from the reality of being cheated on. I shouldn't be thinking about it.