Airplane

"Why are you looking at me like that?"

Her eyes were already slowly closing, succumbing to the pull of sleep, underneath the dimmed lights of the cabin, when he came back from the bathroom where he freshened up and got ready for bed. Upon her request, the flight attendant had both their seats reclined for them to have a good night's rest on the long flight.

"Just remembered that my last flight was when I was heading to Jordan," he murmurs quietly, tenderly tucking her hair behind her ear. "I couldn't sleep. I just kept tossing and turning until it was time to get up for breakfast."

A frown tugs on her lips and she scoots over to wrap her arms around him. Thank goodness for the privacy of first class. She barely got through the scrutiny of the lenses earlier at the airport.

"That was a long time ago. I'm here now," she comforts him, burying her face in his chest and inhales the scent of him. His arms tighten around her in response. After a moment, she looks up and asks him, "What do you want to do first when we get there?"

"Probably take a shower," he says, smiling when she snorts at his answer. Typical. "What? You'd rather have a smelly man for a husband?"

She bites her lip at that. Husband. She still finds herself swooning over the fact even after almost two weeks after the wedding. He is her husband. Not just the man she's dating or a longtime boyfriend. A husband.

"No, I like you just the way you are," she teases, leaning in to tickle his neck with nose rubs and kisses, and grins down at him when he laughs a little too loudly. He is everything she ever wanted. "I love you."

He beams up at her. "I love you, too."

"And thank you for earlier," she says seriously, unconsciously running her fingers through his hair. "I know it wasn't ideal, but..."

He shakes his head. "I'd rather have you comfortable than not." He pulls her into his arms and drops a kiss on her head. "Now, go to sleep. You get cranky when you don't get enough hours in."

"You make me sound like a baby."

"Mm, aren't you?"

She hits him on the chest and makes him laugh again. It's still quite surreal, being able to be together without having to be careful. They have perfected the act for so long that it feels strange to bring that love they have kept hidden out in the open.

He interrupts her thoughts by placing another kiss on her head. "I can hear you thinking. Stop it. Everything's going to be fine. I promise."

She lets out a soft sound of satisfaction in response and stays quiet for a long period of time that he thought she had already fallen asleep. Until she voices her thoughts out loud.

"Do you think Kitty will still recognize us when we get back after being away for too long?"

He laughs. Typical. How she makes him happy even in the most mundane of circumstances. Like her talking about her dog.

"She will recognize us. Don't worry."