CHAPTER TWO, football tryouts and cheer tryouts

"Okay, welcome to football tryouts

"Okay, welcome to football tryouts." The coach announces, walking down the line of boys (and Davina) trying out for the football team. They were all wearing football gear as well. "As you know, this town is a cheerleading town 'cause this town likes to win and our football team is awful so we are not going to win this year, and I'm probably gonna lose my job."

"Good news for you, though. You all made the team. Whoopee." The coach said not so enthuastically while the boys said their words of excitement for getting on the team. Davina grinned and fist bumped the air. She knew this wasn't how tryouts usually worked, but she was on the team so she wasn't complaining. 

"Wait, Coach," One of the boys speak up, looking at Coach with surprise. "You're actually letting a girl on the team?"

Davina turns to face him with her hands on her hips and looks at him with an intimidating stare. "You got a problem with that?"

"Uh, yeah, I do." The blonde-haired boy laughs. It was clear he wasn't intimidated by her which makes since because he was at least a few inches taller than Davina and looked much stronger than her. "You probably don't even know anything about football." 

"Maybe you should try out for cheerleading. That's probably more of your style." Another boy suggested and he and some of his friends snickered.

Davina's blood boiled, her heartbeat increased and she breathed heavily because of how angry she was. Zed didn't know her for that long, but she seemed like the type of person you didn't want to mess with. Davina walks over to where a football was set up on a tee on the field. She took a deep breath before she backed up, did a running start and kicked the football. Everyone watched as the football made it in between the goals at the other end of the field. "Touchdown!" She cheered, glancing at the boys who were making fun of her before, smirking when she saw they looked shocked and impressed. 

Coach laughs, gesturing to Davina. "We got ourselves a new kicker, folks!" 

"What?" The blonde-haired boy who first spoke up stares at Coach in disbelief. "But Coach I-I've been the kicker since freshmen year. You're just going to let a freshmen and a girl come in and steal my spot?" Davina then realized that he was one of the senior football players and she felt even more proud that she, a freshmen and girl, was taking his position on the football team because she was better than him.

"Technically she didn't steal it." Zed speaks up. Davina looks at him with a bright smile, surprised but happy he was standing up for her. Zed smiles back at her then looks at the blonde-haired boy with a smile and crosses his arms. "She clearly earned it."

The blonde-haired boy scoffs and crosses his arms. "Whatever."

"Thank you for being so good." Coach smiled at Davina. 

Davina chuckles. "You're welcome."

"So like I said before everyone here is on the team." Coach continues. "Except for the zombie." He pointed at Zed, who stood at the end of the line next to Davina.