Opera Night

Zhongli left the Funeral Parlor and headed towards the main street to wait for Childe. He couldn't help but catch the eye of the treasure store attendant, who approached him offering her latest acquisitions. It didn't take much persuading for Zhongli to end up buying a set of handcrafted jewels with various minerals, a set of typical Liyue porcelain decoration figurines and a handmade vase with gold-plated elements. It was a bad moment for him and he had to ask the merchant to keep his purchase for another time so that he would not have to go back to his room. Even so, the merchant asked him for payment in Mora to make sure that he would come back for his purchase at any time. And, in case he didn't drop by, she already had full payment.

It wasn't long before Childe showed up again. He was without his Fatui jacket or the mask hanging in his hair. Zhongli watched him thoughtfully but guessed it was because of the heat still apparent on Liyue nights. Childe left anything that could link Zhongli to the Fatui, he didn't want to cause him trouble especially with the Seven Stars of Liyue, who he guessed would be going to the opera of the renowned Yun Jin. Not that they didn't already know him, he used to attend public events but he also did not want to wear the badges like "Hey look, here's the Harbinger!". Surely they wouldn't know that the Funeral Parlor did business with the Fatui or, rather, helped hide certain information from the deceased. He thus opted to enjoy the opera as Ajax.

They both walked towards the opera chatting about trivial matters. Zhongli explained everything in absolute detail and Childe listened attentively with a smile. When they arrived at the ticket stand, Zhongli was about to invite his friend when he remembered that he had spent all the Mora he took for the tickets.

"That's 3000 Mora, sir," the vendor announced.

"3000 Mora...," Zhongli repeated. Childe had already assumed he would pay when Zhongli said, "Childe, I had taken a good amount of Mora but I don't have it anymore..."

"What?" asked Childe stunned. He didn't know whether he was more surprised by the fact that he had spent it when all the expenses for the afternoon had been at his own expense or the fact that he had taken Mora.

"They showed me some very good merchandise in the treasure store while I was waiting for you." While waiting for me? How long had he been waiting for me?, Childe wondered. Zhongli could see a faint hint of disbelief in Childe's eyes.

After a moment of silence looking at Zhongli, Childe began to reach for his Mora bag to grab the tickets. Not that he cared either, he took it for granted before leaving the Bank. Zhongli took the tickets and smiled, "Thank you, Childe."

Childe replied with a smile. And he followed Zhongli towards the entrance of the great hall. There were already a few people present, though he couldn't distinguish anyone of interest. They looked like ordinary citizens. Zhongli sat down in one of the seats allotted to them and gave the right one to Childe.

"I'm going to the bathroom, Zhongli. I'll be right back," Childe advised before sitting down. There was still time left for the show so he quietly made his way to the restroom. It was right in the large main lobby, decorated with a large red carpet. The bathroom was empty and with no music on, the conversation in the entrance hall could be heard.

"Of course they're going to pay for it," one man said.

"Neither with the Sigil of Permission nor without it," added another male voice. Childe rested both hands on the long countertop of sinks to hear who they were referring to.

"Keep in mind that in the end the business is not in the Teahouse. People are going to do business with other merchants, it's not a feasible business even with the blessing of the Adepti."

Childe's eyes widened in surprise, since when had they possessed a Sigil of Permission at the Yungsheng Teahouse? He could think of forgiving their debts in exchange for it.