Farewell Rite for Rex Lapis

Since it was the Rite of Descent, it was not a busy day for the Funeral Parlor. The citizens of Liyue did not usually choose this date for ceremonies, although the day had been unique: Rex Lapis had died. The news spread through Liyue like wildfire, reaching the doors of the Funeral Parlor.

Hu Tao stood in thought. "Hm... I don't know, he has lived more than 6000 years, which is no little," she said aloud. Zhongli felt an emptiness in his chest. "He has participated in numerous wars and battles to defend Liyue. Surely he was attacked at some point and still survived. How could they be able to kill him just like that in the Rite of Descent? There's a catch."

"Maybe it wasn't murder," Zhongli commented.

"Oooh, the poor old man committed suicide?"

"He might have been affected by corrosion."

Hu Tao laughed. "Rex Lapis will be our client!" she pondered and asked Zhongli with a thoughtful look, "You think he's dead, wasn't he immortal, what do you think, what does your Adeptus instinct tell you?"

"You take it for granted that I'm an Adeptus?" asked Zhongli.

"Yes! You're strange!"

Zhongli couldn't help but worry, was it really that obvious? He was still learning from humans, but he believed he was adapting well.

"Was he really immortal? The myth tells that gods possess this characteristic because they do not age. But does that mean they cannot die? There are many gods who are not with us today, only their memory remains," Zhongli said.

"So? You think he has indeed died," Hu Tao concluded.

"Correct."

Hu Tao sat in a chair near the middle table. She crossed her legs, rested her chin on an unconcerned hand and said, "Business is business, be it Rex Lapis or a simple merchant. A toast to us!" She raised a hand in imitation of a toast, but Zhongli did not follow her.

"Consultant, will you take care of the arrangements for Rex Lapis? I don't know what he would like and I don't want the wrath of the rock to haunt me for the rest of my days." She asked out of politeness, Zhongli always took care of preparations for the Adeptus, she knew he would gladly take care of it.

"No farewell seems necessary for Rex Lapis."

"What do you mean?"

Hu Tao didn't consider it a big change whether Rex Lapis was leaving or not, but she guessed he was like a father to the Adeptus and so it seemed like a duel to the Consultant, who was absent in thought looking behind the windows.

Life in Liyue continued behind solemn faces. Merchants went about their business despite not having received the annual predictions. Citizens strolled and shopped, with sadness in their eyes. On the other hand, the children played and shouted, running from one side of the port to the other. They were the new generation, fully guided by humans, the Seven Stars of Liyue Qixing.

"Normally they notify us of events to prepare for farewells, but, in this case, the Seven Stars of Liyue guard the exuvia of Rex Lapis somewhere under secrecy."

"Do you think they are hiding something? Oh, I know! He's been killed by them to seize absolute power and that's why they don't want to bring us the body," Hu Tao concluded. "At least they could have asked for a special price for hiding information. They are well aware that we do it with the Fatui... Hmph," she added nonchalantly.

"Master Hu, if it's all right with you, I'll write to Ningguang to get permission for the preparations."

"Of course, Consultant. If need be, make her an offer."