CHAPTER 9

CHAPTER 9

Darkpaw sat silently, too hollow with grief to even cry. Leopardpaw pressed into her side, muzzle buried in her neck. Nearby, Quailstep was absolutely silent, tears flooding down her cheeks, pressed against her mate. The whole Clan was silent with sadness, Echostar standing stoic in the center of the solemn circle. Echostar took a deep breath and rose to her paws, long, dark fur rippling in the breeze.

"We are gathered here once more today to honor the passing of another beloved apprentice to this Clan. Bearpaw was a promising and kind apprentice, beloved by those around him and his parents, Quailstep and Duskglow, and his sisters, Leopardpaw and Graypaw, who also departed from us far before her time." The Clan was silent. There was so much death. It weighed heavily on each cat, like a dark blanket. Above, dark storm clouds had gathered, lightning flashing between their swirling masses, pushing the sunrise into a darkened gray. A drop of rain fell from the sky, splattering a Darkpaw's paws. She glanced upwards as thunder shook the quiet land, and the rain began to pour.

"May our ancestors watch over this young apprentice as he joins the ranks of them. He has our blessings, and he will have theirs. Whether one of dark or light, he will serve them as faithfully as he did in life.

"To honor the passing of his spirit to the world that lies beyond ours, we will burn his body to release his mortal ties." She gave a tiny nod to the elders, who padded up, dragging his body. He looked so small, in death. He had been larger than any of the other apprentices, but with his paws curled to his chest and his head dipped down, Darkpaw found herself with the realization that he had been so young when he died. Who knows who he could have been? But now he was taken away for good. She gritted her teeth, hardly able to bear it.

Toothmarks like that of a wild animal lined his throat, parting the fur. Starlingcall and Whisperfoot laid him down, stepping back respectfully. Echostar moved forward, and Darkpaw watched as she gently drew her paw down across his eyes, closing them as if he were only sleeping. She then leaned down, hauling him up by his scruff. The Clan looked on in silence as she hauled herself up the volcano, her movements noticeably slow and rigid. Was she really that old? Darkpaw wondered to herself as Echostar made it up to the top. She straightened, and like with Graypaw, Darkpaw saw her lips move softly in what she assumed to be some kind of prayer. She then dropped Bearpaw into the volcano and straightened up again.

"Dismissed," she murmured, her voice heavy.

"Echostar was his grandmother, you know," murmured a voice behind Darkpaw. She glanced up to see Spottedfire, the she-cat's dull blue eyes still wet with tears. "I can't imagine how hard it must be for her to see her grandchildren die."

"Wait, really?" asked Darkpaw, tilting her gaze up and wiping away her own tears. She nodded.

"I think Leopardpaw needs you right now," said Spottedfire softly, glancing towards the light brown she-cat. Darkpaw hesitated, gazing at Spottedfire. "What's wrong?" her mentor said softly, almost a whisper.

"I'm scared she'll blame me," admitted Darkpaw, staring forlornly at her paws. Spottedfire was quiet.

"I'm not sure what you mean by that." Darkpaw's pelt prickled.

"Never mind," she mumbled, standing up. "I'll talk to her."

She padded slowly over to where Leopardpaw was.

"They're all dead," she muttered in a hollow voice as Darkpaw approached. "Everyone around me is dead." Darkpaw was silent, having no idea how to respond.

"I'm... I'm so sorry," she mumbled. Leopardpaw turned away.

"It's not your fault." But it is, thought Darkpaw. I got Bearpaw killed. I let Graypaw get killed. Everything is my fault.