CHAPTER 12

CHAPTER 12

Darkfire yawned as she padded after the rest of the Dawn Patrol. Beams of the early sunlight glimmered through the trees, tracing the cats' pelts and dappling them with silvery sunlight.

In front of her padded Patterfoot, Batmask, and Duskglow in silence, their footfalls so quiet they almost seemed like shadows. Morning dew dappled the grass and dripped from the canopy above.

They came to a stop near a large rock formation.

"Let's split up," called Patterfoot back to the rest of the patrol, turning towards them. "Batmask, take the RainClan border. Duskglow, check a bit further along the Great River; where it curves away from our territory. Darkfire, you can check up by the beaches near StormClan. I'll check the Overgrowth. Meet back here-" She gestured with her tail towards the odd stones. "-when you're finished." The patrol chorused their agreements before slipping off to go their separate ways.

It had been a few days since Charredlog had given birth to her kits. Of course, she and her mate, Batmask, had been distraught since the loss of the two stillborns. Darkfire often wondered privately if that was the real reason that Coldflurry kept Batmask so busy on patrols; to distract him from his grief. Darkfire knew she was probably overthinking it, but she couldn't help herself.

As she altered her course slightly she wondered whether she'd ask to see the kits today. Most of the Clan had already gotten a chance to visit, and she felt kind of left out. Even Echostar, leader of the Clan, had found time to visit. She wondered privately if she was procrastinating, putting it off.

She pushed her way out of the trees and the wind quickly blew her ears back, pressing her fur behind her. She shivered. Winter would be arriving soon, along with the famine and cold that came with it. She shook her head, tail-tip flicking. The volcano would provide a shelter from the cold, and Coldflurry would probably double hunting patrols. They would be fine.

As Darkfire padded along the StormClan border, she thought she heard shuffling in the bushes a few pawsteps away. Instinctively, she dropped into a crouch, whiskers twitching. She opened her mouth slightly, and the scent of a mouse wafted from the bush. She moved slowly, carefully, until she was crouching in between the mouse and the border, so that it wouldn't flee across. With tensions so high between the Clans, it wouldn't do to be trespassing right now. Not even on an ally's border.

Darkfire took a step forward, pausing. She bunched her hind legs and shot forward, belly fur barely skimming the ground. She collided into the bush, but as the mouse attempted to skitter away, and slammed her paw down. She stood, muttering a hesitant thanks to the Light Ones of StarClan before picking up the mouse. She carried it over to a large tree before quickly burying it for later. She turned back around, continuing the pad up the border, marking it as she went.

An unusual sound behind her made her freeze, cold terror shooting up her. Her pelt prickled uneasily, and she whirled with a hiss. She disturbed the blackbird that had accidentally disturbed the branch it had landed on. It chirped scornfully at her before taking off in a flurry of dark feathers. Darkfire glared at her paws with a sigh. She was so jumpy lately. She shook herself, padding back over to recollect her mouse. Despite herself, she still couldn't shake the feeling that there were constantly a burning pair of eyes trained on her. Ignoring the shivers that continually went up her spine, she padded back to where the patrol had agreed to meet, vanishing from sight in the shadows of the forest.

The sun had risen slightly by the time that Batmask arrived at where the rest of the patrol was already waiting. With a glance at him, Patterfoot gave a quick nod.

"Right then, let's head back." She turned away.

Darkfire couldn't help but noticed the two large squirrels that dangled from Batmask's jaws. She gave him a questioning look, but he didn't seem to notice her.