CHAPTER 11

CHAPTER 11

"May all cats old enough to follow the right path gather beneath Fireledge for a Clan meeting!" Darkpaw glanced up suddenly at Echostar's powerful call, and Leopardstrike, sitting just beside her, gave her a friendly nudge.

"It's finally your turn!" she grinned, tail swishing through the air, and Darkpaw's eyes gleamed with excitement.

"R-Right!" she exclaimed, hardly able to contain herself. "I'll- Uh-"

"Just go!" meowed Leopardstrike, butting her forward with her head. Darkpaw stumbled towards the Fireledge before catching herself. She shot a playful glare at Leopardstrike, who smirked back and mouthed, 'Go!'.

Darkpaw made her way slowly to stand in front of the Fireledge, heart pounding. As it turned out, the day of Darkpaw's warrior's ceremony happened to be perfect. By now, the trees were shades of red and orange and their leaves littered the ground, crunching beneath Darkpaw's pads. The sun was warm and bright, but the cool wind evened out the heat into a nice in-between temperature.

Darkpaw took a deep breath. She had almost even forgotten about what had happened a few moons prior, and the losses they had suffered.

Almost.

She shook her head, pushing the thoughts from her mind as she straightened up before the Fireledge, side by side with her sister, Brightpaw.

Honestly, Darkpaw was surprised that Brightpaw hadn't become a warrior sooner. Brightpaw could already out-hunt any of the warriors in EmberClan, and fight and win against at least two of their middling fighters. But she didn't question it, in any case.

Echostar stood tall, outlined against the moss-covered rock of the volcano, gray fur rippling in the wind. She wore a soft smile on her face.

"I, Echostar, leader of EmberClan," she called. "call upon our warrior ancestors to look down on these two apprentices. They have trained hard to understand the ways of your noble code, and I commend them to you as warriors in their turn.

"Brightpaw, do you promise to uphold the warrior code, and to protect and defend your Clan, even at the cost of your life?"

Brightpaw straightened, lifting her chin. "I do."

"Then by the powers of StarClan, I give you your warrior name. Brightpaw, from this moment on, you will be known as Brightgleam. StarClan honors your nobility and skill, and we welcome you as a full warrior of EmberClan.

"And do you, Darkpaw, also promise to uphold the warrior code, and to protect and defend your Clan, even at the cost of your life?" Darkpaw felt her heartbeat quicken. This was it. The moment she had been waiting for her whole life. She felt light-headed.

"I do," she managed to say, without the slightest tremor in her voice.

"Then by the powers of StarClan, I give you your warrior name. Darkpaw, from this moment on, you will be known as Darkfire. StarClan honors your nobility and spirit, and we welcome you as a full warrior of EmberClan."

The Clan erupted into cheers. "Brightgleam! Darkfire! Brightgleam! Darkfire!" Echostar leaped down from the Fireledge, and rested her muzzle on each newly named warrior's head in turn. Darkfire quickly found herself surrounded by approval.

"You're finally a warrior!" exclaimed Leopardstrike, bumping her cheerfully.

"Congratulations," purred Quailstep, padding forward alongside Duskglow.

"I couldn't have trained you better myself!" exclaimed Batmask. "Well... maybe..." But a swat from his sister, Spottedfire, shut him up.

"You did excellent," murmured Spottedfire, fierce approval in her voice.