CHAPTER 10

CHAPTER 10

Darkpaw trailed after her Spottedfire as the group of cats silently made their way through the shadowy forest. Night had just begun to creep into the sky, turning everything a deep navy color. Fog swirled and twined around the trees, obscuring everything in a cloud of mist. The moon's silver rays dappled the forest floor, illuminating the cats' small figures as the leaves crunched beneath their paws.

"I can't wait!" whispered Darkpaw excitedly, curling her tail as she moved forward to pad side by side with Spottedfire. The ginger she-cat smiled, flicking her tail.

"I agree it's exciting, but you must remember to not start fights. The gathering is a sacred time. It is of the utmost importance that you don't engage in an argument with another Clan."

"Is it really held in DawnClan camp?" Darkpaw asked, blinking up at Spottedfire. She nodded.

"Indeed it is," she murmured. "DawnClan camp; the center of each of our territories. It is said that StarClan shines brightest there." Darkpaw frowned slightly. Why did StarClan shine bright on DawnClan alone?

But her thoughts were interrupted when the cats reached the Great River. The water was dark and churning, the moonlight glinting off the twisting surface. Echostar paused for a moment at the large log that stretched across over the surface of the river, held steadily in place between two small grooves on either bank. She rested one paw on it, silently pressing on it and testing its strength. After a lengthy pause, she nodded briefly to the rest of her Clan before jumping onto the dark wooden surface. It creaked and groaned under her weight, but it seemed to hold. One by one, the cats followed her, slipping like shadows into the opposite bank.

Darkpaw watched as Brightpaw effortlessly bounded across, seeming to almost soar through the air, ginger pelt dappled by silver moonlight. Leopardpaw followed, a little slower, but confident, tail whisking in the air as she too disappeared into the opposite bank. Eventually, only Spottedfire and Darkpaw remained silent.

"Are you coming?" murmured Spottedfire, blinking at Darkpaw. Darkpaw shook her head with a sigh.

"Yep, yep." She watched as Spottedfire padded quickly across, and she was the only one remaining alone on the bank. The tall grass swayed softly in the wind around her, the leaves above chattering in the chill night breeze. The silence was nice; comforting, even. Darkpaw was tempted to linger a moment longer, but eventually, she turned back to the bridge.

She unsteadily pressed her paws on the surface. It seemed safe. She took a breath and propelled herself forward, landing squarely on the wooden surface. Below, the water twisted and churned unsettlingly. Darkpaw forced back the lump in her throat as she crept slowly across the bridge. The wood was slick beneath her paws, so she slid out her claws to gain a firmer grip on the log.

Finally, she reached the other side of the bridge and slipped into the bushes.

Spottedfire was the only cat waiting for her, tail-tip flicking somewhat impatiently. On the sight of Darkpaw, she nodded towards where the rear of the group's tails had just flicked out of view. Darkpaw bounded forward quickly, following her mentor as they moved to catch up with the rest of the patrol.

"Here we are," said Spottedfire as they pushed through one last hedgerow.

DawnClan camp was a wide, open clearing, surrounded by a few thick copses of trees. A thicket of brambles bordered the northern end, and patches of lavender and clovers grew amongst the edges. In the center grew a massive oak tree, branches spread wide at the top before curling slightly in again, resembling a flower that had not quite yet bloomed. The tree was coated in tiny pink and white flowers, and small scratch marks lined the surface. It almost seemed to have a glow to it, casting the cats in golden light like thousands of stars. Cats of all shapes and sizes were gathered around, murmuring quietly among themselves. Darkpaw caught sight of some older cats who must be the elders watching with relaxed gazes from the shelter of a large overhanging stone. Apprentices chattered merrily among themselves, making exaggerated gestures and laughing.