Chapter One

There were three reasons Sunny had stopped by a gas station that very morning; To fill her van up with gas, to take a piss in the nearby public bathroom stall, and to buy herself a refreshing box of orange juice from the supermarket right beside the station.

 Parking the van, she made her way over to the gasoline pump, inserting the nozzle in the van's fuel filler while whistling a catchy tune to herself as Miss Tulip (the van) fed on the gasoline.

 Beautiful day it was; right at the beginning of June, the sky was blue as a Himalayan Blue Poppy while the sun bathed the town with its warm yellow rays.

 Sunny pulled the nozzle out once Tulip was filled up enough without interrupting her ongoing whistle tune as she made her way back to the driver's seat to move her van forward. Parking once again, she made her way into the supermarket for that cold, refreshing box of orange juice.

 Pushing the door open, she nodded at the cashier in greeting; "Morning." she said with a dimpled smile.

 The cashier, a frumpy-looking man in his late fifties, looked her up and down, his expression twisting into a disapproving scowl as he took in her appearance; tattoos, odd piercings, a strange sense of fashion, and messily braided hair that had probably not been washed for at least a week.

 However, he seemed most of all bothered by her tanned caramel skin, the type that did not result from tanning salons or regular trips to the beach.

  Sunny ignored the glares and made her way to the beverage fridge, although she could still feel his gaze burning on her back. She grabbed a cheap box of orange juice and walked back over to the cashier, placing the juice down on the counter as she dug into her brown crocheted purse for money.

 She waited patiently for him to check her out, but instead, he just stood there with his arms crossed, wearing the same glare he had earlier.

 Sunny cleared her throat, "So... uh, how much for the juice box?"

 He scoffed, "I don't like your kind in my store."

 She stared at him, pursing her lips, "...Cool." she awkwardly stated.

 "What even are you doing in our country? What brought you here?" He complained, leaving the orange juice on the beige counter untouched.

 "Me wanting to buy a juice box. That's...that's kinda what brought me here." She simply explained.

 The man shook his head, "Well, find another store, I ain't the store for your types."

 "Yeah...um." Sunny blew raspberries, "Man, I'm just trying to buy a box of juice. So, I'd really appreciate it if you'd just check it out for me, and we'll be good."

 "Not this store." He cut in, his voice laced with annoyance.

 She sighed hopelessly. "Fine then." She murmured as she reached over to return the juice box.

 "You're really gonna kick a pretty young lady out of your store like that, sir?" A voice questioned sassily behind her.

 Sunny turned to see a freckled blonde girl dressed in low-rise baggy jeans and a pink tank top, leaning over the fridge with her arms crossed and her cherry lips curved in a sly smile. The girl seemed around her age but was definitely shorter. She walked over, placing her left elbow down on the counter as she laid her chin on her palm.

 "It's a bit rude. Seeing how you treat girls my age, I'm honestly kinda offended." She said with a fake offense, looking at the man with a doe-eyed stare.