Chapter Three

September 1975

It's been months since I've spoken to anyone in my family. Papi called once a month but it was usually during the weekend. I don't know what happened or what I did to make them not want to have any contact with me but I know I miss them a lot. I apologized to Papi around my birthday, but nothing more was said. No one sent me a birthday card or even called. I wasn't that worried since Sonny made me feel the greatest. 

In August I took Sonny to visit Abuela. She was worried sick about me and I needed to make sure that she was alright too. She didn't understand why no one was on my side about Damian. I told her everything was fine and not to worry. That's when she told me she was summoned to court a month ago to testify on my behalf. I was confused. She told me she knew about a time when Damian was fourteen and he raped a twelve year old girl when visiting with her. I never knew about it, but she told me the court case had just started in the beginning of August. She thinks I'm going to be called in and I was a bit worried. 

I was six and a half months pregnant now. I was happy and healthy. Sonny and I were still in school. We were seniors now and I was excited to leave school next year. Now we were in the serious era of high school. We were talking about colleges and universities. Everyone was excited. I was told I wasn't going to apply to college just yet as we should wait when the babies were born. Yes, babies, you heard that right. We're having twins. That's as much as we know. I was excited to have two healthy babies. I was more upset that I couldn't tell Papi or even Dad. They still were upset at the fact that I was pregnant and not coming home. I understood that and I just wished they understood where I was coming from. 

I was on my way to the doctors. It wasn't far from the school. I was glad about that. Sonny had to stay at school to do some college course thing and I was just going on my own. I had my purse and other things with me. Sonny said he'd meet me there after the course selection and that was done. I wasn't too worried. 

Before I could go into the clinic a car stopped in front of me. I gave them a dirty look but once they exited their car I recognized them. I smiled as a nice gesture. I wasn't too sure what they wanted. 

"Delilah, we need you to come with us." Olivia said 

"Am I in trouble? I have an appointment." I replied. 

"No, we need you to come in. We have some questions we need to ask you." She said with a smile. 

"I need to go to this appointment first." I replied with a sigh. 

"Do you mind if we come in with you?" She asked. 

"Who's we?" I asked. 

"Amanda and I." She replied. 

"Um, sure." I said as I opened the clinic doors.

"I'll go park and meet you in there." Olivia said as Amanda came in with me. 

I checked myself in before sitting down beside Amanda. She smiled at me. I smiled back. I wasn't sure what was going on. 

"How are you?" She asked. 

"Like you care." I replied. 

"Come on now. You know I do." She said. 

"So I tell you how things are and this is where it ends. I can tell you I'm fine. The babies are fine. I am happily married to Sonny. We are doing well. We're in school everyday. He's applying for college and our house is being built. It will be ready for when we graduate. How's Jessie?" I asked. 

"She's good. She misses you. We all miss you." She replied. 

"No one calls me. No one visits anymore. No one cares anymore." I said.