Regret

Once he got out, he felt his back pocket vibrate. Pulling out his phone, he received not one, but three messages. The first one on display read out like it was a personalized reminder.

 'Stay safesir...'

The Sniper pulled the cigarette out of his mouth to let out a defeated sigh.

This is what he unknowingly signed up for when he decided to take in an abandoned kid to work for him. Clearly, he's an adult now, but the boy was too attached; even the Sniper was well aware. The amount of motherly-like texts was also a daily occurrence.

Ignoring the rest, the Sniper placed his phone back in his pocket. But, he couldn't shake the feeling that someone was watching him. Someone he knew. Weirdly enough, the gaze was too familiar to be a stranger.

He whipped his head back around to the bar entrance. And wouldn't you know? It was the same man he had recently said his farewells to. He was staring at the Sniper, phone in hand, as if he was waiting for a text back. Once they made eye contact, the burly man turned his heel and shamefully walked the other way.

Meanwhile, the Photographer's car pulled up to the entrance. Giving the horn a quick push, he saw the Sniper's back straighten as he turned towards the vehicle.

The Sniper flinched slightly, forgetting the prior engagement that he initially agreed on. Turning around, he noticed a head pop out. That was his queue to walk over before he got bombarded with questions. He flicked his cigarette on the ground and stepped on it, easily burning it out.

Getting out of the Driver's seat, the Photographer was a little concerned, "Everything alright?" He said as he crossed his arms and leaned on the side of his car.

"Just needed another drink, sorry about that." The Sniper gave him his best apologetic look. He did take his sweet time, after all.

The Photographer didn't think twice, "No worries, I just didn't take you for much of a drinker." They both hopped in the car and placed their seatbelts on. A low chuckle escaped the Sniper's lips, "Yeah, today was just one of those days." The Sniper looked out the window. A slight smirk was plastered on his face as he was lying through his teeth.

The Photographer glanced at him, then did a double take. Not because of his response, but because of the view he was graced with. "Right." The Photographer absentmindedly added on. He squeezed his steering wheel in an attempt to stay focused.

...

The ride was silent. The Sniper didn't mind, but it was soon interrupted by the Photographers humming. He began drumming on his steering wheel and hummed to match the beat. The Sniper glimpsed at him before turning his gaze back to the window and watching the scenery fly by. 

But it wasn't long till it came to an abrupt stop. "We're here."

Closing the door behind him, the Sniper took the chance to gaze at the exterior. Well, It was something. It wasn't the best, but it wasn't the worst either. Leaving those thoughts aside, the Sniper followed behind him at a safe distance.

Unlocking his studio-like apartment, the Photographer placed a hand on his doorknob and hesitated. He paused, which made the Sniper discreetly try and look over his shoulder. "Before we enter, please excuse any messes." The Photographer let out a nervous chuckle before opening the door.