Chapter 2

He stubbed out the end of the joint on the steps to the trailer as he fished his keys out of his pocket. His rusty van didn't look like it wanted to go to school let alone him. Maybe this is a sign.. maybe I just cut off school as well.. he pondered to himself for a minute before acknowledging the only wisdom left in his stoner brain telling him that if he wants to leave this town then he needs to go.

He rolled up to the front parking lot like every morning nervous but late enough that everyone else had started going into the building to start their morning routine. He did this in the hope that he wouldn't have to bump into any of the others or to be honest anyone at all.

All was going well as he leaned over to grab his bag that had rolled under the passenger seat until he heard the skidding of tyres coming to a sudden stop followed by two voices shouting at each other frantically. The lighter voice slamming the car door as she ran towards the building while a second voice, deeper this time, shouted back about the slamming of doors.
Eddies ears perked up at the commotion, instantly recognising the voices but didn't dare sit up so instead just raised himself enough to peak over the dashboard. His suspicion/ fear confirmed when saw the man himself.
God damn Steve Harrington.
His yellow sweater perfectly complimenting the golden colours of his hair shining in the sun.
Eddies breath started to hitch, slowly at first but as he kept watching Steve pulled the car round to drive off, his breathing spiralled until he could only get little pockets of air.
He had to sit up, there was no way around this. He needed to breath because he sure as hell is not allowing himself to go through all of this just to die in the school parking lot.

Steve drove around the cars to go back out, seeing the distressed van that he recognised instantly. He missed it and hadn't seen it in some months, to the point he had started thinking maybe Eddie had just skipped town entirely. Fresh start, he didn't blame him if he did but the idea of it did hurt. Part of him tells himself the boys started a new life for himself because it hurts way less than the idea that he just cut off everyone entirely. There was a burning feeling of guilt at the thought of Eddie being by himself, knowing that he had stopped going to check on him, not that he ever answered the door but it was the effort made that counted.
He pushed the bad thoughts out of his mind and carried on until he saw it. A flash of brown curls.
He couldn't mistake it. His mind telling him to stop the car but his heart telling him to carry on. He can't take having that conversation right now and honestly he's not sure when he can but he found himself slowing down as he came level with the drivers window. His car was lower so he couldn't see in but the van suddenly wobbled slightly which confirmed everything. Steve didn't know what to do with this information other than go home and then probably phone Robin, as always.  His heart hurt though. He didn't know why but it was a deep aching pain like he was longing for something, or someone.

Eddie ,now laying flat on the seats, held his breath until he heard the car moving on just outside his window. The sudden realisation of the fact Steve was right outside, shocked his brain so much it forgot about the panicking and instead focused all efforts into playing dead in the hope the other boy didn't see him.
Eddie wanted to cry already and he hadn't even made it into the building yet.

The first halve of the day was going okay, boring, mediocre the usual but he didn't mind if it kept him to himself.
It wasn't just the kids he was avoiding, it was most of the school. After everything that went on, somehow there are still people focusing more on the idea of him being a murderer than the fact half the town is in ruin.
The bell rang for lunch and so he made his way to his favourite lunch spot. The disused bathrooms at the back of the old school block.

Jumping up, he sat on the sink counter top while placing a cigarette lightly between his lips. Searching for his lighter, he also took out his pocket his old Walkman that had been passed down from Wayne and headphones. This was his sanctuary and perfect lunchtime activity.
Closing his eyes as the  cassette played, he finished his smoke just placing it in the dirty sink, not bothering to put it out.

In his bliss, Eddie didn't hear the bathroom door creak open nor did he hear the footsteps coming towards him until he was met with the overwhelming burning in his hand.

Eyes sprang open to be met with Jason Carver and then down to where the burning was coming from to see the cigarette he had put in the sink now being pressed down into the skin of hand.
"What the hell man?!" He yelled, jumping as quick as he could off the sink. His headphones falling off his head and onto the floor. He winced at the thought of it being broken but he had bigger problems.
"What do you and your little sheep want?" There was playfulness in his voice almost borderline mocking and as soon as it came out Eddie knew he was in for it, to which Jason and 3 others took no time to make him regret it.
A fist came flying at him before he could register it and duck, hitting him smack on the cheek bone and pushing him down onto the dirty floor.
A kick this time went to the stomach before he could defend it with the back of his arms. A muffled scream left his mouth as he tried to contain himself but it was no use as he felt the tears in his eyes starting to threaten to fall.
A quick signal from Jason and one of his bigger minions stepped forward, picking Eddie up by the shoulder material of his clothing.
"Oh shit! We all knew you were a freak but this is way past that!"  Panic rushed through his body trying to think what was happening until he felt the breeze on his stomach. Pure panic took over as he felt the breeze go over his semi fresh wounds that he had made himself only the night before. Shit shit shit.
"Who would do this to themselves? You have got to be sick in the head to mutilate yourself!"
The tears started going, Eddie couldn't stop it. He had never felt so pathetic until now.
" Is this what you did to Chrissy? Did you try and get her to join your cult of freaks?"  Jason spat out at him before landing another punch except this time aiming directly at the wounds.
A gasp of pain escaped the older boys mouth, trying to double over but still being held up by the stronger sheep.
" I.. I never.. I never did.. anything man. I.. I swear... please!" Eddie gasped out.
He didn't even bother looking up to meet Jason's eyes. He couldn't.
A hot breath came to his ear. " I bet you do this to yourself and get off on it you sick freak"

"Drop him." He ordered. Eddies feet hitting the ground unexpectedly and without the time to prepare them, he fell to floor. The room was silent, to the point he thought they had left.
Until he doubled over properly at the gut wrenching pain of three pairs of boots came crashing into him from all sides.
His brain shut down, there wasn't any thoughts or actions being prepared. Just pain. It felt like forever as wave after wave of kicks happened until it suddenly stopped and that was it, they left just like that as quickly as they came in.
"I... don't... think.. it's ..my.. year..." he whispered with the only breath in him. He was overtook by a cough but as he looked at the flooring, all he could see was bright red speckles of blood that had just come from his lungs.
Shuffling his body as best as he could up against the wall, he started feeling it. A small cry to start which then led into full sobbing. His body was numb but on fire, everything burned but he also haven't allowed his body to feel the true pain to his injuries. Not until he's safe home where he can let his guard down.
Using the sink, he hoisted himself up catching his reflection in the mirror. His hair stuck down to his face with a mixture of sweat and blood but through it he could already see the swelling around his cheek and eye socket forming.
He gingerly lifted his shirt to look at his torso, a sob came out of the man as he inspected the array of dark bruises and open wounds.
"Jesus H Christ." He mumbled to himself in the mirror. "Fuck" "Fuck" "Fuck" each one getting louder and louder before he lost control of his body as his fist swung for the glass. Shards smashing down into the sink below.
He ran the tap, splashing water over his face and split knuckles in an attempt to get all the blood off, grabbed his Walkman and left as quickly and quietly as possible in the current state he was in.
It was going well seeing as everyone was in their classrooms now and he was almost at the exit door before he saw her and she saw him.
"Eddie? Eddie what's wrong?" She questioned.
Her eyes widened as she got close to him.
Reaching out to touch his face, he grabbed her wrist.
"Don't. Don't touch me. Please." His voice holding strong but there was a childlike whimper trying to surface. He released her wrist but still couldn't look at her properly in the eyes.
"What's wrong? Tell me! I can help. So can the others! Please! We haven't heard from you in ages, we are worried!" She begged.
"I'm sorry Red." He whispered before limp running as best as he could to his van.
Smacking it into drive, he skidded as fast as he could out of the lot and onto the road, not slowing down until he was back at the trailer park he called home.