Chapter 7

"Who did you say you were again?"  The older woman questioned as she stood defensively in the doorway.
"Um.. Eddie Munson ma'am"
She inspected him once more before shifting her eyes to his beat up van before going back to the boy stood awkwardly shifting from foot to foot.

All the times he had been to the house before, he'd just hounded his horn while staying firm in the safety of his vehicle while the lady stared him down through the safety of her windows.
Now the two were actually in front of each other, neither felt safe but nether the less the lady still chose to shout for her son.
Eddie guessed she was probably used to people who were definitely too old to be hanging out with kids, to be calling for him.

"Will! How many times do I have to tell you? We are not starting a new campaign without-" a shout came from the hallway.
"Eddie!" A smile plastered on the boys face at  the sight of the unexpected guest.
"Um hi Dustin.." He was trying his best not to show how nervous he was.
"I'll leave you boys to it.. Dusty shout if you need anything okay?" She assured her son, code word for being 'if this satanic man tries kidnapping you then scream for help'.
"Dusty?" He chuckled, lightning the mood.
Dustin groaned in response.
"What's been going on.. you okay?" he asked.
Eddie cleared his throat as he tried smoothing his clothing down.
"Yeah I just.. just wanted to come see you.. I think I probably owe you it.."
The younger boy stared at him for a moment before turning on his heels towards the hallway, leaving the door open.
Eddie stood there for a second unsure of if he was meant to be following.
"Are coming or what?"
He shuffled his feet quickly to where Dustin had walked off to.
"Sit!" The younger commanded as he pointed to his bed, Eddie following his words apprehensively, his eyes wide as he awaited his lecture.
There was a silence between them as they searched each other for clues on how the other felt.
"So.. do you have a campaign set up because I'll be honest the others are really getting on my nerves!" Dustin exasperated, breaking the silence.
"Are you serious?" Eddie laughed.
Dustin looked at him deadpan. "Yes. I need you back I don't care what's going on with you. Everyone is annoying me."
"You don't care about me?" Placing his hands mockingly over his heart. "I'm hurt!"
A needed laugh coming from both of them before the silence crept in again.
" y'know I care right?" Dustin reassured.
"I know. Me too.... I'm sorry" he replied back instantly.
"Nobody's mad or blames you. You do know that right?" He comforted.
Eddie didn't reply, he didn't know how to but still nodded in acknowledgment to the statement.
".. I'm not mad at you.." Dustin added, intensively watching Eddie for a reaction.
He looked up at him from the bed with glossy eyes, nodding again but this time due to his throat had closed up in an attempt to hold down the choked sob that so desperately wanted to creep out.
They stayed comfortable in the silence of their thoughts for a little while longer, letting the tension balance itself out until it was no longer there.
Little glances from the older boy, with each one he expected the flash memory's of that night when he nearly died but with each glance accompanied with a friendly smile, the memories melted away until all he was left with was the fond memories of before.
Yet again it was Dustin that spoke up.
"Come movie night tonight?" He pleaded.
"Oh I'm not sure.. I haven't seen people much and I'm not sure they'll want me just turning up.."  he argued.
"Also I haven't talked to Steve yet..."
"So then come! You can talk to Steve when your there? We miss you! Pleeeeeaaassseee!" He bargained, fluttering his eyes.
He was hesitant as his stomach starting flipping with nausea but for some reason he still found himself agreeing.
"...also can you drive me?.."
Eddie let out an exaggerated groan but secretly his heart clenched at the question. It felt like a big jump back to better times.

"See you later!" Dustin called to his mum to where she was sat on the couch, her eyes peeking over the magazine as she watched her son leave happily with the metal head. She would later describe him to her friends as a good for nothing scoundrel.

The ever present anxiety had been managed just enough by an intense karaoke and head banging session between the two all the way to Steve's house and Eddie had to admit that this was the most grounded he'd felt in awhile.
"Shit it was my turn to bring popcorn!" Dustin groaned as parked.
"You go in and I'll go to the shops quickly? Don't want mamma Steve getting restless now do we?" Eddie joked, already turning the key in the engine to restart it.
After a bit of back and forth the younger finally gave in, allowing Eddie to drive off.

"Hey guys!" Dusting called out, letting himself into the house.
A chorus of 'hey's!' echoing back to him as he wandered into where they had set up in the living room.
"Did you bring popcorn?" Lucas asked, searching his hands for it.
"Ah so quick update! Bad news is that I forgot it but good news is that Eddie is going to get some!"  He awkwardly chuckled as he watched most jaws drop, except max who sat smirking. Dustin made note to ask her about that later.
"Eddies coming?" Steve questioned, stood in the kitchen. He was thankful for the kitchen island hiding his knees trembling, threatening to give way underneath him as he flashed a panicked smile at Robin. He had explained what had happened in Eddies trailer, missing out the part where there was a half naked man. He wasn't ready for her to analyse his emotions to why the man angered him.

"Yeah he came round earlier to talk and stuff and I invited him and told him that we miss him and yeah.." he explained.
Everyone paused for a second before an all round nod of approval with a couple of quiet 'I do miss him' being muttered.
"He's definitely coming?" Robin checked.
"Yeah he's only gone to the shop on the next street over.." Dustin carried on smiling as they perfected the rest of the set up of blankets but he couldn't help but start doubting as time moved on past the time Eddie should of been back.

"Come on he's not coming!" Steve scoffed.
"5 more minutes!" Dustin tried bargaining.
"You've said that now 5 times! He's not coming okay? I'm sorry but this is who he is now! Just because he apologised doesn't mean he won't still leave unexpectedly." He exploded, everyone turning in their seats to scowl at him.
"Hey Dingus calm it down. That was rude." Robin hissed in his ear quietly.
He sighed, rubbing his face. "Sorry Dustin.. we can wait 5 more minutes." He melted further down into his seat as he prayed for the door to open wide as a wave of curls comes crashing through with a mountain of popcorn and a wild Eddie story as to why he was so late but to his and everyone else's disappointment, it never happens.

Eddie had rushed around the shop grabbing everything and more that he needed. Thanking the shop keeper giddily as he paid.
He was fumbling with his keychain as he left, not noticing the group of boys blocking his way to his van.
"Well well well boys! Look what we've got here! The local freak!" The boy jeered as he met Eddie's fearful ones.