Chapter 8

Dawnmist sat inside the medicine' cats den and watched as it slowly rained. It had been a moon since Whiteclaw had died. Dawnmist was worried for her sister. Lately, she had been acting too bright and cheery. Not devasted and upset as Dawnmist had expected her to be. This somehow made her a lot more worried for her sisters sanity. 

"Dawnmist, are you okay?" A gentle voice interrupted her thoughts. She sighed as a tail wrapped around her and pulled her close. 

"I-I'm fine, Hawkswoop." She mewed. "Just... worried." 

"Leopardfur will be fine. She's strong. It will take time but she will get over Whiteclaws death." Hawkswoop mewed reassuringly, "You still haven't recovered. How does the gash on your shoulder feel?" 

"A little sore but nothing I cant bounce back from." She replied. 

"Thats good. Now, I'm on the sunhigh patrol so I have to go soon. See ya!" He gave her a gentle lick between the ears then left. 

"Bye! Have fun getting soppy wet fur!" She called. He flicked his tail to show that he heard. 

"Dawnmist! How are you feeling?" Mudfur trotted into the den. 

"Fine. I think I'm almost ready to go back to full warrior duties." She replied. 

"Hmm, we'll see about that. May I have a look?" She nodded. He gently peeled the cobwebs back to reveal the gaping red scar. 

"Might have to dab some marigold on that. Wait here." He called, bustling away. 

"Like I was going for a walk." She muttered. Staying indoors all the time and literally doing nothing was exhausting. She had counted five cracks in the celling and had picked her fresh-kill bones clean, and had reorganized the medicine den about a hundred times. 

"Back!" Mudfur mewed around a mouthful of marigold. He chewed the leaves to a pulp and rubbed it into Dawnmists' wound. She winced as it seeped into her, stinging her, but she gritted her teeth, determined, not to let her weakness show. He grabbed a pawful of cobwebs and expertly plastered it onto her wound. 

"Can you put pressure on it, yet?" Mudfur asked, watching her closely. 

She gingerly put pressure on it and was pleased when it didn't hurt as much. She turned and grinned at Mudfur. 

"Walk from here to the other side of the den." Mudfur instructed. 

Happily, almost prancing, she trotted from the other side of the den and back, stopping in front of Mudfur and giving him a triumphant grin. 

"Alright. You can go back to warrior duties." He sighed. 

"Thank you so much!" She yowled. 

"But I want to check it everyday just to be sure infection doesn't creep in!" Mudfur called as she trotted out of the den. "And take it easy!" She flicked her tail to show that she had heard and almost bumped into Wolfhowl. 

"Woah there. Finally out?" He teased. 

She flattened her eyes at him.  "Yes i'm 'finally out' and i'm happy." She objected. 

"Hey I didn't say you weren't happy." He mewed. 

"Dawnmist! You're out!" She heard a yowl come from somewhere near her. She spun around and saw Leopardfur and Lionamane bounding towards her. 

"Im so happy you're out!" Lionmane yowled, nudging her. 

"Yeah sis! Ive been wanting to talk to you..." Leopardfur trailed off.

"Okay! Wanna talk now?" She asked. 

"Yeah. Outside of camp..." Leopardfur mewed, flicking her tail for Dawnmist to follow.