Chapter Four.

Things were quiet. No sound. It felt like everyone was holding their breath. If someone dropped a pin, or a crumb, you would probably think you could hear it. Chandler looked over at Jay in disbelief. Jay smirked. “You’re joking, right?”

Jay laughed. “No, I’m not.”

“You can’t be serious.”

“I’m pretty serious.”

“I’m not gonna count all this. It’ll take forever.” Chandler snapped. Jay had led her to a hidden room. It was behind the gun case down in the basement, of course, Chandler didn’t know that, with the case of being blindfolded. Jay had told her to count everything they’d stolen, dollar bills, gold coins, every expensive rock they had, every gold brick, everything. He knew it would take her hours, maybe days to do it. But it was something he could think of that would keep her busy. Plus to get in and out of the room, you needed to have your eye scanned as a lock, and the only eyes that could unlock the door, was Jay, Nathan, Siva, Max and Tom. Chandler couldn’t get out if she tried. “I’m not even sure I can count that high..” She muttered to herself.

“I think you’ll manage.” Jay chuckled. “Just take your time.” And with that he left, locking her in. 

“I’m not doing it.” Chandler said, sitting down on the ground, playing with her hands, waiting for the next time Jay or any of the other boys would check up on her.

***

“You really think she’ll count all that?” Tom laughed, as Jay came up the stairs, closing the door, seeing four pairs of eyes look back at him. They all leaned onto the island.

“No.” Jay shook his head.

“Then why’d you put her in there?” Max asked. “She could steal our dough.”

“I doubt that. With the security system down there, we’ll be fine to leave her there.” Jay explained with a little shrug of the shoulder. “I figured two of us go check to see what her brother is up to.”

“Well, we all know Tom’s one of them.” Max laughed.

“No one touches my baby.” Tom grumbled, taking his keys out of his pocket and twirling them around on his finger.

“I’ll go.” Nathan said.

“You sure?” Jay asked.

“Yeah. I got nothing better to do.” He laughed. Tom gave a wave to everyone, as he and Nathan went out the door and into the garage. Tom and Nathan piled into the SUV and Tom’s legendary screeching sounded throughout the house.

***

As the tires screeched, Chandler listened closely. She thought they left her. Left her there to rot all day. No food. Just money. And that wasn’t going to help her. Now, she really was hoping for Chase to have some sort of plan. Some sort of an idea of what he should do.  She had very little hope. Her brother wasn’t the smartest of boys. He got a bit frustrated when things didn’t go good, or if he didn’t get his way. Chandler sighed and looked at the stacks of every kind of bill from about every country. She didn’t even know what the currency was. She grabbed some American bills, and started to count. She thought it would be the best way to pass the time.

***

Chase sat at the kitchen table, holding a mug of cold coffee in between his hands. He shifted his gaze from the coffee, and to the person sitting across from him. The person took a sip of their coffee and set the mug down. Their eyes connected with Chase’s. This person was Kane Forger. He had brown hair, cut short, blue eyes, built figure like Chase and was in his late thirties. This person was the father of Chase and Chandler Mills.