Chapter Eight.

Song: Like I Would- Zayn

"Wasn't that your girl over there with Ryan?" Luke's best friend, Nick asked as Luke sat down at their table again. Luke shot him a glare before he let out an irritated sigh. 

"She's not my girl. I'm just playing with her and you know that." 

Luke's other friend, Josh, smirked at Luke as he crossed his arms over his chest. "Dude, the way you look at her tells another story." 

Luke glared at him too, but he didn't say anything back. Half of him kind of agreed with his friends, and the other half wanted to bash their faces in for suggesting such a thing. He didn't like Jaylee that way. They weren't even really friends; more like less than enemies. He was just worried about her. She had been acting so weird the past two days, and Luke wasn't sure what he did wrong, but he didn't like it. Jaylee was always happy, and she always had something snarky to say, but now she was angry, and below all that anger, there was hurt. Her face wouldn't light up when Luke tried to joke around, and whenever Luke said something cocky, she wouldn't get that little flash of attitude in her eyes. Jaylee ignored him the best she could, and when they did talk, her voice was cold and harsh. Luke tried to think of what he did. He didn't talk badly about her, he didn't hurt her, he didn't-

Unless...  

Miley. 

Luke knew Jaylee must have seen them making out at the park. He was supposed to be helping her. That must have been the first strike. Then, when he flirted with Miley at school, that must have been the second strike. Luke honestly was an idiot. Jaylee probably thought Luke was just using her, but that wasn't it at all. He was just an idiot guy whose mind didn't work most of the time. 

Seeing her hug Ryan enraged something in Luke. The only guy she should have been hugging was Luke-- at least he thought so. Even if he did start to like her, she could never break his heart. That was a fact. Luke made his heart so stone cold, no one could ever have the ability to rip it to shreds again. 

"Look, dude. It's okay if you like her. Jaylee is a good girl when she isn't breaking hearts." Josh stated, staring at Luke, and Nick nodded as he placed his hands on the table. Luke glanced at Jaylee and Ryan. He saw a small smile on her lips, and the ghost of a smile appeared on his. She really did have a beautiful smile, but he would never say that out loud. 

"Yeah, Luke. You guys are right for each other whether you want to believe it or not." Nick glanced at where Ryan was standing. "Besides, you know as well as we do that Ryan is only using her. No good can come out of him being around her." 

Luke knew they were right. Ryan never genuinely liked girls, but he also knew Ryan had been obsessed with Jaylee for a very long time. Ryan even told Luke to back off because that was "his girl", and Luke wanted so badly to laugh in his face and tell him who Jaylee really belonged to. 

Luke let out a sigh before he stood up. "Whatever. I'll be back." 

Luke walked to the bathroom, splashed his face with water, and walked back out. Jaylee was no where to be seen, which was good for him. Luke might have actually hit Ryan if he still saw them together. Nick and Josh shot Luke a weird look, and Luke shook his head. They knew they shouldn't question him. 

Luke left and drove to Jaylee's house. Luckily, her car was the only one there, so he walked up to the front door, took a deep breath, and knocked. 

***

Jaylee was watching One Tree Hill when someone knocked on the door. With a groan, she walked to the door and opened it, only to see Luke standing there. He didn't look too happy, but she didn't say anything.