Chapter Twenty-Three.

Song: Why- Jason Aldean 

Luke stared at Jaylee in shock, tension filling the air. Her words had hit him hard, and he knew she was right. He had promised he would wait for her because he loved her, and here he was, breaking that promise. It was no wonder she was scared to get back together with him. 

Jaylee stared at him once more before she turned on her heels and walked away. She took deep breaths to calm herself. Only one month left, Jaylee. One Month and I will be out of here and away from him forever. 

But even she knew that wasn't what she really wanted. 

Jaylee was just about to relax a little when Luke walked into the classroom. It completely slipped her mind that he sat beside her. They exchanged glances, and she had never felt so uncomfortable. Their teacher began the lesson, and Jaylee silently blessed her for getting her out of that situation. 

The first half of her day went by pretty fast. She dashed to lunch in order to avoid another encounter with him. That day had been rough. Every time she saw Luke, he would stare at her, and if they were in the same class, the air was thick with tension. Jaylee hated it, but she was also mad. He had hurt her once again. Even after the night they had spent together the day before. She just wanted to go to her locker and bang her head against it-- that was the level of awkward between them. Her phone vibrated in her pocket, and she pulled it out to see a text from her mother. 

Mama: I need you to run to the market after school and get some things for dinner. Luke and his family are coming over. Love you.

Jaylee internally groaned. Of course, she thought. Just when she thought things couldn't get worse, they did exactly that. She had already loathed seeing Luke at school, now she had to see him the rest of the evening. 

Jaylee grabbed her lunch and walked over to her table where Cassie and Lauren were sitting. They exchanged glances before looking at Jaylee. 

"What?" She asked, and the girls shrugged as they continued to eat. Cassie glanced at Jaylee, her eyes filled with concern.

"I'm guessing your talk with Luke didn't go so well." 

Jaylee's eyebrows crinkled in confusion. "What makes you think that?" 

"Dude," Lauren interrupted, shooting Jaylee a look. "I didn't even know anything until five minutes ago, but I could still see the tension between you two. It is suffocating." 

Jaylee sighed and played with her food. "It wouldn't matter now. He is with her. I was just a phase." 

Just as she said that, two more people joined their table, and when Jaylee saw who it was, her heart dropped in her chest. 

Luke and Adele.

"Adele, what the hell are you doing here?" Cassie asked, her voice dripping with annoyance. Adele glanced at Cassie and shot her a fake smile before leaning on the table, making sure her cleavage popped out. Luke's eyes traveled down, and Jaylee felt her heart drop again. Just a gesture as small as that hurt her. 

"Eating lunch, obviously." Adele stated, and Cassie rolled her eyes, returning to her lunch. 

"Did you honestly think that was a good idea?" Lauren questioned, raising her eyebrows and Adele laughed. It took everything in Jaylee not to hit her, but she kept her cool. Luke glanced at Jaylee, and then Adele. He knew something bad was going to happen.

"Of course I did." She shot them a mischievous smile before facing Jaylee. "It's not too much of a bother, right, Jaylee?" 

Jaylee slowly nodded, shooting Adele a fake smile. "It's just peachy."