Waiting For You

A few weeks passed, and Colleen and Mark could definitely tell that you were losing hope for finding your siblings. Even though you told them Diego's name, you still refused to describe his appearance, afraid they would tell the sheriff.

"Whaddya say we play a game, out in the barn?" Colleen asked you one day, as you were cleaning up the dishes. It was November 5th, and even though it hadn't been that long, they felt like family to you. They were always happy and helpful, and you couldn't help but think it might not be so bad if you never found your siblings again.

But... the boy. The one who could time travel. Something about him...

"(Y/N)?" Mark asked, nudging you.

"Huh? Oh, yeah, sorry. Sure, just let me finish up." You looked back down at the plate, scraping dried scrambled egg off of it. Colleen, however, gently took your hands and pulled them away from the sink. 

"Come on. Let's have some fun." You allowed her to lead you out to the barn. It was mostly used for storage, and sometimes the tenants would park their cars inside if there was going to be a hailstorm. It was painted a drab gray color, but the loft was actually quite fun. It was where the Brown family kept all of their unused furniture, and the two kids had turned it into a tiny home, of sorts. That was where Colleen took you, Mark following behind as you climbed the ladder.

"This is the best place in the world to play hide-and-seek," Colleen said knowingly, and you raised your eyebrows.

"Hide-and-seek?"

"It's not that childish," Mark defended with a smile. "I'll be it first. Go hide!"

30 minutes later, all three of you were collapsed on the ground, grinning.

"See?" Colleen asked, nudging you. "Wasn't that worth it?"

You nodded, giggling.

"I just wish my dad-" You cut yourself off quickly, clearing your throat, and Mark sat up. 

"What were you about to say? Did you remember something?" he asked.

You shook your head, blushing.

"No. I just... never mind."

"You can trust us," Colleen said, placing a gentle hand on your arm. "We'll believe you, and we won't tell anyone."

You hesitated only a moment longer before speaking.

"I... lied to you guys." You swallowed hard, refusing to meet their eyes. "The man who raised me and my siblings adopted us all when we were babies. We're all pretty different. And... he treated us like adults from the time we were four years old. We were trained, taught to fight, kill, everything."

"Why?" Mark asked, narrowing his eyes. "Why adopt eight kids just for that? How did he choose who to adopt?"

"We were all born on the same day," you hedged. "And... under odd circumstances." You looked up suddenly, meeting both of their eyes. "You can't tell anyone in the world what I'm about to tell you, all right?" When they both nodded solemnly, you took a deep breath and continued. "He adopted us because we have powers."

"No," Colleen said immediately, shaking her head. "I don't believe you."

Mark elbowed her, still staring at you.

"Well, can you show us?"

You bit your lip nervously. 

"I haven't used them since before I came here. But..." you stretched your hand out slightly, focusing on a nearby coffee table. You let pressure build behind your eyelids and fingertips, and moments later, a glowing (F/C) force field had formed around it.