He Shanked Your Heart

When you arrived home, Five led you into the bedroom. Elliott was passed out on the floor beneath the couch, and something large was buried under a pile of blankets next to him. You decided not to question it.

"Here," Five said a few minutes later, returning with some thick bandages and some sort of liquid medicine in a clear glass bottle. 

You sat on the edge of the bed, fingers gripping the sheets. Your body was almost too worn-out to feel the pain anymore, but just the sight of the wound made you feel like throwing up. 

"This is going to hurt," Five said quietly. "A lot."

"Just do it," you said tiredly. "Get it over with."

He nodded, his eyes never leaving yours. One hand gripping the hilt of the knife, and the other held yours tightly. And then he pulled it out.

You sucked in a sharp breath, tears blurring your vision. It was all you could do not to scream in pain as fire shot through your lower thigh. Five seemed to know what he was doing, however - he took a clean cloth and poured the medicine onto it, wiping off your leg. It stung, but removed most of the dried blood. He then wrapped your leg in the bandage, compressing the wound. You took a few shaky breaths, clenching your jaw to keep the pain away.

"All right," he said, standing up and pulling you to your feet as well. "Feel better?"

"Much," you said, relieved. "I need to change. I'll be right back."

Once you were in your new pair of clothes you had bought with Lila - oddly enough, you missed her even though you had seen her hardly an hour before - you walked back into the room. Five was pacing, one hand pressed to his forehead and the other in his pocket.

"Hey," you said, catching his arm by the elbow and pulling him to a stop. "How about you get some actual rest?" You jerked your head toward the bed, and Five sighed. 

"There's so much to do. The Swedes are sure to come after us again, and when they do-"

"Five," you said sternly. "Get some rest." 

He raised his eyebrows at you, a small smile forming on his perfect lips. 

"Only if you do too."

You rolled your eyes, pushing him onto the bed. He slid his shoes off before sliding his feet under the covers, and you snorted.

"Don't tell me you sleep with socks on."

"Of course I do."

"You're so weird," you muttered, but got into bed on the other side, pulling the covers up to your chin and staring at the ceiling, suddenly feeling awkward. But then his fingers brushed against yours under the blanket before they twined together, his thumb running over the back of your hand. "Five?" you whispered, turning to face him only to see that his eyes were already on you. You felt your face grow hot.

"Yes?"

"What are we?" You regretted the question even as it spilled from your lips, nerves flooding your system. What if he said friends? What then?

"Homo sapiens," he responded immediately, and you were so surprised that you laughed before quickly cutting yourself off.

"Really, Five," you said, a smile still stretched across your face.

"I wasn't kidding," he said, a teasing smirk still dancing on his lips. "But if you insist... what do you want us to be?"

You hadn't expected him to ask that.

"I... what?"

"You heard me."

"Whatever you want us to be," you said, even as words strung through your brain.