Umbrella Straight Flush

"Shit," Five hissed through his teeth as you stared down at your hands. "When's the last time you slept, (Y/N)?"

You thought about it for a moment, your mind sluggish.

"With you. After... after the fight at the gala."

Five cursed again, rubbing his eyes with one hand.

"It's been almost three days, Eight. You need rest," he said, taking his eyes off of the road for a moment to look at you. "Your power isn't going to work if you keep drifting off. You've hardly been out of your coma for three months. It's not healthy to be running around without getting any sleep!"

"You never sleep," you replied, annoyed.

"Yeah, well, I'm used to it," Five said agitatedly. "And I drink caffeine."

"We're almost to the alley," you muttered. "I'll sleep when we get home."

Still, your eyes fluttered closed, and a memory flickered to life in your mind.

Diego stood facing you, clutching his arm where the tattoo had been inked into his skin, fighting back pained tears defiantly.

"Even the Dud gets a tattoo?" he asked, and young Allison frowned at him. "She's just like Vanya. She doesn't have powers."

"Stop calling me that!" you shouted, your hands shaking with nervous energy as you awaited your turn. Klaus pulled you back, gripping your hand in an attempt to calm you down. "No! That's not my code name, Diego."

"Then what is it?" Diego scoffed, raising his eyebrows at you.

"Enough, Diego," Luther said, scowling at him.

You wanted a cool code name, like the Kraken, or the Rumor. Not... the Dud. Even if it was technically true. You were a failure, a... dud.

"What you gonna do?" Diego asked, raising an eyebrow at him. "Come on. Fight me, tough guy."

Ben stood slowly as the tattooist completed his task, his eyes darting nervously between you and Diego. 

"Guys, stop," he said quietly. You turned to him, feeling awful when you saw the tears streaking his face. Five flashed back into the room, narrowing his eyes.

"What's going on?"

"It's the Dud's turn," Diego said with a cruel smile, his lips curling into a snarl. "Let's see how much pain she can handle."

...

Your eyes flew back open as you gasped, relieved to find Five's face hovering over yours.

"We have to go," he said, brushing a thumb across your cheek. "We're running out of time."

"All right," you said sluggishly, heaving yourself out of the car. Five slid his arm under your shoulder to support you even as you protested.

"You'll slow me down otherwise!" Five said, tightening his arm around your waist and helping you to the alley.

"You can let me go now," you said, finally pulling yourself away from him and collapsing against the brick wall as Five threw open the lid of the dumpster and grabbed the briefcase out.

"Hey," Luther gasped as he came tearing around the corner, looking around in disbelief. "Where is everyone?"

"You're the first," Five said with a tense, sarcastic laugh.

"What?" Luther burst, and Five nodded.

"Like always," you muttered, and Luther turned to look at you in confusion.