Chapter Fifteen | Internal Crisis

The guests started entering the palace yesterday. Thus for Navier who don't have any kinship with things like mana or magic like Veronique, it was difficult to pinpoint one person from the abundance of guests.

There were Grand Duke Chrome and his wife, the Grand Duke Lilteang, the Chancellor and his family from the Northern Kingdom, the children of Duchess Cranthia from Samoneau, Duke Ergi from Bluvohan and Prince Heinley from the Western Kingdom…

The problem was that they did not come in twos or threes. Just from the Grand Duke and his wife, there were also the knights, the servants, and escorts, and then multiply that number by several times to account for the other guests. She didn’t even know if the letter came from a woman or man,  if they were young or old, or what status they were. It was almost impossible for Navier to determine Queen’s owner.

– I don’t know who you are.

She considered it a little more and then added,

– Do you know who I am?

Navier was sure they didn’t know as she was one of countless people living in the palace. As soon as she finished writing the letter, Queen hopped to her side.

He was visibly relaxed by the sudden departure of Princess that happened just a moment ago. Tragically unaware of the reason being the said Princess wanted to dug out some information out of his friend.

"This birdy is quite clever, Your Majesty."

"Even while cleaning his feathers, he seems to be trying to make eye contact with you, Your Majesty."

The ladies-in-waiting burst out laughing when Queen butted his head towards the Empress.

"Really?"

Navier stroked the bird’s head, and he made a pleased sound and half-closed his eyes. She rolled up the note and tied it to the bird’s leg, and he fluttered his wings and landed on the bed in a small dance before leaping back out the window.

"What a clever bird…"

The owner themselves would have to be quite intelligent to raise a bird like that. What kind of person were they? A young woman of her age like Laura? An elegant old lady or gentleman? A prodigal nobleman? A knight who knows nothing but the sword…

"Do you like birds, Your Majesty?"

Countess Eliza came by her side as Navier stared silently outside the window with questions roaming in her head.

"Yes. I think they’re lovely."

The bird was truly incredible, the person who owned the bird had to be incredible as well. Countess Eliza smiled and spoke in a half-encouraging tone.

"Then why don’t you raise one or two birds of that species, or any other species?"

"Oh yes. It would be amazing to have a chick from birth."

"Let’s bring them together!"

It was tempting, but Navier thought about it for a moment and shook her head.

"No. Seeing one is different from raising one."

Queen was exceptionally intelligent because of his master’s training. It was unclear even to Navier whether she liked birds, or just Queen himself. If she had an animal, she would make sure she would commit to it before raising it.

"I haven’t seen Viscountess Verdi since yesterday. …."

"She had to rush back to her estate."

"…Troubles again?"