Chapter Sixteen | Three Is Crowd

Empress Navier worked on her papers with a smile, and as soon as it was lunchtime, she returned to the Western wing. She usually took her meals at the central palace, but she was worried that Queen would be waiting for her outside the window like yesterday.

"Again."

Queen was sitting outside the window again. Fortunately, the weather was clear and he was half-dozing off in the sunshine, instead of shivering in the rain. When Navier opened the window, Queen quickly came into the room and held out his leg. She pulled out the note and checked it eagerly, and once again saw the familiar handwriting.

– Queen shall be the bet.

Navier looked at Queen. The bird blinked his large eyes and tilted his head, oblivious to the contents of the letter.

"…"

– Gu?

"Your master wants to offer you, Queen?"

As soon as she spoke, Queen jumped and flapped his wings. Navier pulled Queen into her arms and placed him in her lap, and looked down at his magnificent golden plumage.

Truthfully, Navier wanted to have Queen. She have never seen such a cute, smart and lovely bird before. But…no matter what anyone else said, it was best if he stayed with his master. It would be heartbreaking if she won the bet and Queen was let go. No, that was not the best way to describe it. Queen would be abandoned by his master.

She was not so happy with the competition either. She was curious of course, but worry stopped her. The reason Queen’s owner and she could send messages to each other was because they were strangers. Would they be able to talk in this familiar way even after they have discovered each other’s identity? She had to be careful to preserve the dignity of her pose as empress, or else this comfortable atmosphere would disappear.

– Gu?

The bird tapped Navier's hand as she sat still, as if he were impatient for her to start writing. Navier hesitated and took Queen to to desk. She set him down, took out a piece of paper, and wrote a lie.

– Hint. I’m a man.

Queen squawked and flapped his wings as soon as he saw her message. It sounded like he was laughing, and she felt embarrassed even though he was just a bird. Navier scratched his cheek, and Queen turned round and round and rubbed his head against her wrist.

"Do you think it’s fun to lie to your master?"

– Gu!

Navier was glad he was having fun. She felt sorry for Queen’s master, but…they won’t find her if she wrote this lie. That way, they wouldn’t be able to find each other, and they could remain faceless friends like now.

.
.
.

It was the day before the New Year’s celebrations officially began.

Navier greeted the last-minute arrivals, checked on the New Year’s proceedings and the special banquet for the last day. She went to the Western wing again during lunch hour to see if Queen was there today, but the effort was fruitless. Instead, Viscountess Verdi, who had been away for several days, returned. She still looked quite pale and distressed, but she greeted her.

"If it’s no trouble to you, Your Majesty, I…"

"It’s alright. Tell me."

"Can I borrow some money? "

The red-faced Viscountess Verdi could not even explain the reason she needed it.

"About fifty thousand gallons…"